[SOLVED] i5-7600K hitting 100% on many games (mainly ones that should be easier to run) and causing mouse input delays, is this a bottleneck issue?

Sep 3, 2019
Hi, I have been having problems with my i5-7600k ever since I got my gtx 1080 a couple months ago. It hits 100% CPU usage relatively easily (even while idle on the desktop sometimes) and causes insane mouse input delays while playing games. This has been happening on Rainbow Six Siege lot and recently I've noticed that it's even worse on Minecraft Windows 10 edition. Back when I had my gtx 1060 6gb I was having no problems at all and ever since I've been using my gtx 1080 games have been running worse, when the graphics card is supposed to be much better. I have tried overclocking my i5-7600k since I thought it was a bottlenecking issue but at 4.5 GHz the problem is even worse. I am completely clueless at this point, I have searched through many forums and tried many solutions but none of them have seemed to help so I might as well post my own thread. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
I have eliminated the problem. The weird latency issues whenever my CPU hits 100% are gone as far as I can tell. I deleted a lot of stuff so I am not exactly sure what solved it but I'll list all of the things I did. First, I deleted Razer Synapse as mentioned by justin.m.beauvais (only downside is not having a left click macro but that's a much better downside than insane latency issues).

Agree with rdg1101 that we need a little more information here, but also, are you running any Razer devices? I had an issue similar to this and it turned out that the Razer software was UTTERLY tanking my performance. Just another thing to check into.

In addition to this I also blocked wallpaper engine from opening on startup (even though I...
Sep 3, 2019
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?

CPU: i5-7600k
GPU: MSI gaming x gtx 1080
MOBO: MSI gaming m3 z270 atx motherboard
CPU cooler: corsair h100i v2 liquid AIO
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (dual channel)
Storage: 250 GB Western Digital blue SATA ssd and Western Digital blue 1 tb hard drive
Power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold

Feel free to tell me if you need any more info. My CPU and GPU temps are relatively low in and out of game so I don't think they are causing any problems. Idle they are both around the 30 degrees celsius and in game my CPU reaches around 50 and my GPU around 60 C. My CPU usage during games tends to reach 80-90% with other random windows processes bumping the total usage up to 100%. My GPU usage reaches 90-100% in more demanding games that I tend to play.

Sep 3, 2019
Agree with rdg1101 that we need a little more information here, but also, are you running any Razer devices? I had an issue similar to this and it turned out that the Razer software was UTTERLY tanking my performance. Just another thing to check into.

Yes, I have a Razer mouse. I got it around the same time that I got my graphics card so I will definitely have to look into that. Curious, what did you do about the razer software and did it manage to fix the problem?

Yes, I have a Razer mouse. I got it around the same time that I got my graphics card so I will definitely have to look into that. Curious, what did you do about the razer software and did it manage to fix the problem?
I uninstalled it. Until they release a version that doesn't murder my game performance I'm happy to live with the demo mode lighting on my keyboard. It is better than the alternative.

The 4c/4t CPU has been somewhat 'thread challenged for at least 2-3 years already, and is increasingly a hindrance is many games, more so within Win10. 100% usage is simply a fact of life with everything beyond solitaire.... A very good GPU and 1080P resolution, would easily highlight this limitation even more. (As you have a GTX1080, you might partially mitigate some of the 4c/4t weakness by maxing out your settings to try to load the GPU to such a point of just being able to crank out 60-80 fps, vice running medium detail and generating 200 fps...; additionally, 200 fps can often overwhelm either your connection, or, connection to whatever gaming server you are connected to, leading to 'lag'...)

Last edited:
EDIT: 100% usage 'even when idle on the desktop'...?

that's a cause for concern....

Make sure CPU temps not allowing/causing any CPU throttling...

Maybe you've been hit with the '100% usage WIndows bug' recently reported?

Double check for malware, making sure no cryptocurrency miners have attached themselves thru assorted game patches, etc...

Make sure all WIndows updates applied.... (you might be able to roll back the recent update which gave lots of folks high CPU usage, however)

Reactions: digitalgriffin
EDIT: 100% usage 'even when idle on the desktop'...?

that's a cause for concern....

Make sure CPU temps not allowing/causing any CPU throttling...

Maybe you've been hit with the '100% usage WIndows bug' recently reported?

Double check for malware, making sure no cryptocurrency miners have attached themselves thru assorted game patches, etc...

Make sure all WIndows updates applied.... (you might be able to roll back the recent update which gave lots of folks high CPU usage, however)
+1000
Start task manager and sort processes by cpu usage. Examine whatever process is taking a high cpu time. If its svchost.exe grab the pid and then go to resource monitor and hunt down that pid and see what resources its accessing. And you can go to services page and see what pid match up.

This will also help:

Hopefully you dont install cracked software.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019
I have eliminated the problem. The weird latency issues whenever my CPU hits 100% are gone as far as I can tell. I deleted a lot of stuff so I am not exactly sure what solved it but I'll list all of the things I did. First, I deleted Razer Synapse as mentioned by justin.m.beauvais (only downside is not having a left click macro but that's a much better downside than insane latency issues).

In addition to this I also blocked wallpaper engine from opening on startup (even though I didn't have a wallpaper active) and I deleted rainmaker, a program I used to keep tiles on my second monitor to keep track of certain statistics like cpu temp and cpu usage. I suspect this might have caused some latency issues with audio since I previously had a bar that moved along with music on it. I also just deleted a bunch of other stuff I don't use anymore so it's pretty much impossible to pinpoint the solution.

I thank everyone who helped me with this.

Excuse my formatting btw, I'm new to this website.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS