Question i5 7600k hitting 100% usage while on most games

Currently suffering from some huge CPU usage issues. Doesn't seem to effect performance all that much but I do worry about my CPU burning out. Even on games like Minecraft, usage while shoot up to 60% and idle with just Chrome open, it will hit 30%. As far as I can tell, when I have just my game open, no other programs/apps are sneakily using loads of power; games like Borderlands 3, Kingdom Come and Destiny 2 for example, will run up to 80%+ of my CPU's power.

All of my temps seem fine, all 4 cores are working, I just don't understand what's happened :c

Well, that's a real kick in the shin :c Any suggestions for a more suitable processor?

Well your mobo support up to a core i7 7700 or 7700K, both CPUs come with 4 cores but have HT enable so they can use up to 8 threads, which make them better than your Core i5.

But if your games and programs are working fine, just enjoy your i5 7600K and forget about it.

Reactions: BringTheRuckus97
BringTheRuckus97 Hello, and thank you for your post. I agree with everyone that a 4C / 4T (4 core/ 4 thread) CPU started becoming somewhat antiquated as of 2017. However, if you wouldn't mind humoring me, could you please check the temps of your CPU while you're gaming by running HW Monitor? When a CPU reaches a certain temperature, it'll start slowing down (downclocking) in order to protect itself for excess heat.

Question: Which cpu cooler did you install on your processor? The i5-7600K did not come with a cooler, and I'm wondering if you might have installed a stock cooler on it. Also, how much thermal paste did you use? Traditionally people will only apply a long grain rice amount of thermal paste, between the cpu and the cooler. A little too much can actually raise temperatures.

Action: Download and install HW Monitor. Ideally, if you have two monitors, then open a game with high cpu utilization on one display and open HW Monitor on the other. Then game for ten to twenty minutes and report back the "Temperatures"; both "Value" and "Max" columns. Then report those temperatures back here please.

Action: Take two photos of the inside of your build, upload to imgur, and share the link here. I'd like to get an idea of the inside of your case's airflow.

-- hw monitor --
https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.41.exe

-- speccy --
https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download/standard

Future upgrades: Do not upgrade to an i7-7700K. That CPU currently sells used for $225 to $275. For the upper end of that price range, you could upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600 (6C/ 12T) and a MSI B450 motherboard. In addition, you currently only have a B250 chipset motherboard, which does not support traditional overclocking.

Addendum: Just to be clear, nothing about your utilization raises my eye brow, except for your chrome browser causing a 30% utilization. If it's not cortana, or an AV application, then it's worth investigating the cpu temps just to be certain.

Last edited:

rodrigoxm49

Great
Oct 13, 2019
Nothing wrong
Currently suffering from some huge CPU usage issues. Doesn't seem to effect performance all that much but I do worry about my CPU burning out. Even on games like Minecraft, usage while shoot up to 60% and idle with just Chrome open, it will hit 30%. As far as I can tell, when I have just my game open, no other programs/apps are sneakily using loads of power; games like Borderlands 3, Kingdom Come and Destiny 2 for example, will run up to 80%+ of my CPU's power.

All of my temps seem fine, all 4 cores are working, I just don't understand what's happened :c
There's nothing wrong.

Modern games needs at least 6 cores to run it smoothly. You will need to upgrade to i7 7700 or a new rig to fix it (Ryzen 1600 or 8400F at least).

80% to 100% of 4/4 CPU usage on modern games is what is expected.

Now that we know Intel is bringing HT to (atleast) Core i3 lineup (so 4 cores / 8 threads), if youre not on a rush is not a bad idea to wait and get one of those, or even the probably new core i5 with 6 cores and 12 threads (lets hope intel don't do what Intel usually does, and raise the price of the entire lineup just because they enable HT).

From my humble point of view if you are on a rush, then a Ryzen 5 (1600, 2600, or 3600) with an inexpensive B450 or a bit better X470 that can be upgraded later on with new zen 3 cpu is the way to go right now. Going with intel core i5 8xxx or 9xxx with only 6 cores today, on a dying platform is not a great idea.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS