i5 7600k on a GIGABYTE H110M-S2H?

Sep 29, 2018
I currently have an i3 7100 CPU (Kaby Lake) working fine on my Gigabyte H110M-S2H Motherboard. However, I would like to upgrade to a better CPU. I am currently looking at another Kaby Lake processor - i5 7600K. Will it be ok to use that CPU on a Gigabyte H110M-S2H?

Some things for you to note first! -

- I HAVE UPDATED MY BIOS VERSION TO F20 (THE LATEST VERSION THAT THE CPU USES)
- I already have a working Kaby Lake CPU with a LGA 1151 compatible chipset
- I have a 80+ certified 500W PSU, so power is efficient
- I have an aftermarket cooler that I am using for my i3 7100 and that'll be used for the i5 until I buy a AIO liquid
- I understand that you can't overclock on H series motherboards. However, the price margin is significantly low and performance is still a bit better on the K. Moreover, I'm pretty sure that the K is compatible with the motherboard.

Thanks!

Solution
You may be waiting a while though-2nd gen Ryzen came out not too long ago so when the 3rd gen will release is unknown. Considering amd has stated that the am4 socket will be compatible with future architecture until 2020 from memory you could always go for a x470/b450 board along with a 2nd gen ryzen and upgrade when the time comes/ need arises. But none the less the past year has been great for consumers in regards to the cpu market as amd has finally become relevant again forcing intel to up their game as well.
Well the only thing that pops in mind is something you already mentioned-that you can't OC on your board so a "K" cpu is a tad of a waste. None the less if you can get a good price on it its still a good buy. Have you considered perhaps on going for the 7700 route instead?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I would definitely recommend saving up for the 7700, depending on what you do with your PC and what GPU you are using now or plan to use in the future. For games like say AC origins or other CPU heavy titles quad core i5's are really starting to hold back more powerful gpu's at 1080p.

Sep 29, 2018

Hi again,

I have decided to save up for the upcoming 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs. This will include the new Zen 2 architecture, which is much more efficient, cheaper and powerful than my range for Intel's current lineup. AMD's CPU usage just seems to be so much less than Intel, so I won't be concerned for future upgrades of future GPU or RAM compatibility with it. Moreover, If I choose to upgrade the CPU, I still won't be concerned about compatibility because every Ryzen CPU so far uses the same socket - AM4.

You may argue that Ryzen is worse than Intel in every regard, however I will have to disagree. For example, the 50-60% price gap between the two is present, although the performance gap is significantly lower. Not to mention other technologies used such as STOREMI and SENSEMI. This is prominent in 2nd gen Ryzens RIGHT NOW. So just imagine what kind of performance there is to be seen from the 3rd generation. Moreover, Intel's completely shady shit with the false benchmark tests comparing their new i9 9900K vs R7 2700X showed there was ACTUALLY only a 5-15% increase in performance (bearing in mind this is still only 2nd gen). This completely changed my perception on the company, to a side involving a lot of fear, uncertainty and unreliability. With all this in mind, I believe that Ryzen is the future, and quite frankly Intel really do 'have a lighter up their ass'.

Thanks for your input and advice, I really appreciate it :)

You may be waiting a while though-2nd gen Ryzen came out not too long ago so when the 3rd gen will release is unknown. Considering amd has stated that the am4 socket will be compatible with future architecture until 2020 from memory you could always go for a x470/b450 board along with a 2nd gen ryzen and upgrade when the time comes/ need arises. But none the less the past year has been great for consumers in regards to the cpu market as amd has finally become relevant again forcing intel to up their game as well.

Solution

I suppose the 7700K with 4.2 GHz base/4.5 GHz turbo is a waste over the 7700 as well? :)