i5 7600k underclocking at idle.

klaudmjj

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
I have my i5 7600k overclocked to 4.7ghz at 1.2v. Idles at around 30-35c. My cooler is the pure rock slim.
When it's at idle, it underclocks it self to like 1.06ghz at fluctuates.
What setting do I change it so it's a constant 4.7ghz? And will there be any difference in performance?
My motherboard is the Asrock z170 extreme 4.

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Just leave the settings alone. If it clocks to set overclock under load then there won't be any issues. If you are still worried about it try disabling the 'core C6 state' in your BIOS. Basically allows the CPU to under volt itself and even turn itself off.

Wellsie_waz_ere

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
You need to turn the CPU ratio mode from 'Dynamic' to 'Fixed' in your Bios settings. In dynamic mode it will automatically lower the ratio to conserve power. I'm using an MSI z270 krait board so your settings may be names slightly different.

Also, if it not off automatically turn off 'Intel turbo boost'. As your clocking above the standard 4.2ghz it's not required.

I'm using a 7600k @ (fixed) 4.2ghz myself with a Corsair H75 and my idle temps are 40C avg. With your cooler your idle temps will likely increase a bit.

I'll add that multiple online sources show that average computing power for gaming is lower when dynamic ratio is activated, how noticeable this is I don't know.

Edit: Turns out my H75 pump was on the brink, was replaced under warranty. Sold that and got a H80i v2 and now idle is 25c to 28c.