i5 7600k with ddr3 ram

Solution
Well, I imagine a 7600k would boot up and run just fine with 1.5V RAM. I know Intel says you could damage the memory controller by doing so, but they also say the same thing about overclocking the CPU itself, and people don't have a problem doing that. I guess it's up to the individual whether they want to risk running Skylake/kaby lake with 1.5V ram.

Alternatively, you could under volt your regular DDR3 to 1.35V. Although it may not be stable at its rated speed then.

kanewolf

Titan

BUT, most people when asking about DDR3 an NOT referring to 1.2V DDR3L they are referring to 1.5V DDR3. There is no support for old style 1.5V DDR3.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Well, I imagine a 7600k would boot up and run just fine with 1.5V RAM. I know Intel says you could damage the memory controller by doing so, but they also say the same thing about overclocking the CPU itself, and people don't have a problem doing that. I guess it's up to the individual whether they want to risk running Skylake/kaby lake with 1.5V ram.

Alternatively, you could under volt your regular DDR3 to 1.35V. Although it may not be stable at its rated speed then.

Solution

jr9

Estimable

Can you physically install a 240 pin DDR3 DIMM into a 288 pin DDR4 slot and not having the keying stop you? I have never tried this.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
Heres a list that supports both your chip and your DDR3 RAM

Asus - Z170-P D3 ATX LGA1151
Asus - Z170M-E D3 Micro ATX
Gigabyte - GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3 ATX
ASRock - Z170 Gaming K4/D3 ATX
ASRock - Z170 Pro4/D3 ATX

BUT be sure you go to the motherboards site first to see if a particular frequency/clockspeed on your ram is supported. some have limits. some have a wider range.

jr9

Estimable

I meant like the Skylake processor would work with it (DDR3) and everything would POST and actually function properly.

Core i5-7600K supported memory: DDR3L-1333, DDR3L-1600, DDR4-2133, DDR4-2400
DDR3L is (Low Voltage) memory.

DDR3 motherboards are no longer produced. Pricing now is double, triple original prices due to lack of supply. You may find using DDR4 is a more economical option.