Question I5 7640x integrated graphics?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I just watched a linus video about the x299 processors. In the video there was a chart that said "integrated graphics: present but disabled". What does this mean? I know this chip is kind of old but I got the i5 in 2018 and still dont completely understand it.

https://ibb.co/XXnVr2h -screenshot

Also, why does this cpu get so much hate? Is it because it's a bad cpu or is AMD people hating on intel?

The i5 7640x doesn´t provide an integrated graphics unit

It´s only a quad core CPU, higher TDP
entry level workstation CPU

very high price for the motherboard

when it was released, CPUs with equal performance were at the same price

Ryzen 1st gen 1600 has similar performance than this CPU gaming bit worse than the 7640x

Last edited:
Reactions: sodium.in.toilet

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
The i5 7640x doesn´t provide an integrated graphics unit

It´s only a quad core CPU, higher TDP
entry level workstation CPU

very high price for the motherboard

when it was released, CPUs with equal performance were at the same price

Ryzen 1st gen 1600 has similar performance than this CPU gaming bit worse than the 7640x
I paid $220 for my motherboard, but I see what you're saying. The same motherboard is now $800 on newegg which makes no sense to me. It's really cool that I can upgrade by swapping the cpu and gpu without having to build a whole new pc. I also remember the ram for this chipset being extremely expensive for no reason.

which board did you get?

The Ram price is not dependent from the board.
The board supports quad channel RAM, but your CPU doesn´t, maybe you´ve got 4 DIMMs with a high frequency and that´s why the price was so high?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
My board is the msi x299 raider. But I actually found really cheap ddr4 2400 ram that works great. I meant when I was looking for ram at the time I built the pc, it was super expensive. Like $300 for 16gb. But it was much faster than what I have I just dont see it being worth it. And yeah the memory is kind of dependent on the board, theres surprisingly not alot of options that support this chipset, or atleast there wasnt when I built it. I think the motherboard is $800 now because intel came out with an even better i9 for the same socket like a year after the i5 came out.

RodroX

Estimable
I just watched a linus video about the x299 processors. In the video there was a chart that said "integrated graphics: present but disabled". What does this mean? I know this chip is kind of old but I got the i5 in 2018 and still dont completely understand it.

https://ibb.co/XXnVr2h -screenshot

Also, why does this cpu get so much hate? Is it because it's a bad cpu or is AMD people hating on intel?
Does not come with integrated GPU, otherwise it will show on it page: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/121500/intel-core-i5-7640x-x-series-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

I didn't knew people hate this CPU till now, probably because old workstation chips were never my thing.

But in 2020 all I can say is that this 4 core / 4 threads cpu, is basically a very limited chip for many uses. If you do office, basic gaming, or basic productivity/creation/compiling will be more than enough. But if you earn money with your work basically a current Core i3 (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199283/intel-core-i3-10100-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html) will be much better than this CPU.

Cheers

mdd1963

Polypheme
The CPU was perhaps clocked 100 MHz higher than the 7600K...for hundreds of dollars more in X299 costs....

Alas, 4c/4t CPUs have been and are increasingly suffering at many games since 2017 (erratic minimum FPS)....; perhaps you can find a compatible 6-8 core CPU (7800X, 7820X) at reasonable cost from someone looking to upgrade, as retail costs at newegg are $589 and $779, respectively... so paying the more than the cost of a 10700K and Z490 board combined to stay ont he same board with less performance would seem....questionable, at best.

Phaaze88

Glorious
Ambassador
It doesn't have an iGPU.

It, and the 7740X are 'hated' for a few reasons:
A)It's bloody X-series. HEDT X-series. You know, for prosumers/professionals/folks that just want to blow cash?
Intel took 2 mainstream cpus, made them compatible on the X platform, and advertised them as affordable, gaming cpus with the option to upgrade to even more powerful gaming cpus.
WTH is a gaming cpu doing on the X platform?

B)The platform is flat-out more expensive.
7640X or 7740X from back then: 242 - 339USD
Aftermarket cooler: doesn't need anything too crazy, but if you go too cheap, you kill your future cpu upgrade options and have to spend more for another one... rather counter-intuitive.
The cost of a decent X299 mobo: 200+USD
Quad channel ram: What? You're really gonna put dual channel in a quad channel board? What kind of sense does that make? Price: I don't remember anymore, but it wasn't cheap either.
VS
7600K or 7700K: 242 - 339USD... Imagine that. Same price.
Aftermarket cooler: nothing too crazy - under 100USD easy
A decent Z170/270 could be had under 200USD for sure
Dual channel kit
By the way, WTH is a gaming cpu doing on the X platform? Plus, quad channel is useless for that. Even if the user does go dual channel, just why? It doesn't make sense on that platform.

C)The bios bullcrap that caused some people to kill their cpus.
If one is upgrading from either quad core cpu to the 6 core or higher models, and they do not clear/reset CMOS before hitting that power switch... Fsst. Hey, that's your new cpu dead, by the way...
The quad cores ran with different, higher voltage applications. When CMOS isn't reset, those voltage settings also get applied to the 6 core and higher - they don't like those higher settings, by the way.
Take the 6+ core models and switch in the quads? Works without a hitch.
This wouldn't have been a thing because, "Hey, why's a gaming cpu on the X platform?"

D)Overclocking? :mdr:
What? A 7600K and 7700K would've done the same for less.
You see, a 7640X and 7740X are the 7600K and 7700K without iGPUs - and Intel charged the same price, even though it was removed from them? Hello? Intel F SKU - although they did come later.
Gaming cpu. X platform. Why.

E)Upgrade to 6+ cores.
They are worse at gaming because of the higher latency caused by the new(at the time) mesh bus.
Workarounds:
-Overclock cache frequency, which was limited. It quickly jacked up operating thermals, even more so than traditional core overclocking.
-Memory frequency as high as possible = expensive.

Cooling these cpus was no joke either, especially overclocking - avoid air coolers.

F)Marketing BC.
The whole thing was stupid and the mess could've been avoided.
What I see: Intel was looking to cash in on unsuspecting gamers, and they succeeded.
X299 offered nothing for those folks, except if they happened to find a professional use for their PC later.

Rant over.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Does not come with integrated GPU, otherwise it will show on it page: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/121500/intel-core-i5-7640x-x-series-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

I didn't knew people hate this CPU till now, probably because old workstation chips were never my thing.

But in 2020 all I can say is that this 4 core / 4 threads cpu, is basically a very limited chip for many uses. If you do office, basic gaming, or basic productivity/creation/compiling will be more than enough. But if you earn money with your work basically a current Core i3 (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199283/intel-core-i3-10100-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html) will be much better than this CPU.

Cheers
I pretty much only use it for gaming. I dont really understand what makes a workstation cpu different from any other cpu. But I definitely wouldnt get the 7640x in 2020. I got it when it was new a few years ago and I got it for a pretty cheap price too. I think I got it for $160 from some amazon wholesaler when on newegg it was $250+. Right now I'm considering upgrading to cheapest i9 and getting maybe a 3070 or 3080. (If I can afford it lol)

RodroX

Estimable
I pretty much only use it for gaming. I dont really understand what makes a workstation cpu different from any other cpu. But I definitely wouldnt get the 7640x in 2020. I got it when it was new a few years ago and I got it for a pretty cheap price too. I think I got it for $160 from some amazon wholesaler when on newegg it was $250+. Right now I'm considering upgrading to cheapest i9 and getting maybe a 3070 or 3080. (If I can afford it lol)
The Core i9 10900k?... is a very nice chip (for now), but it cost a lot of money, it consumes a lot of power, and it needs a very beefy cooler, not to mention that all games runs about the same with a Core i5 10600K, and if you feel 6 cores 12 threads are no enough, you can get the Core i7 10700K which should be cheaper than the core i9 and somehow easier to cooldown and use a bit less power. I honestly think the Core i9 10900K is really for people with very deep pockets.

Keep in mind the new Ryzen 5000 series that are comin to market on november 5, in theory this new AMD chips are better than the current 10th gen at about everything, gaming included, but you should always wait for reviews before making any decisions.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I meant the cheapest i9 x series cpu so that I can use the quad channel memory and everything else that it unlocks. Intel limited the i5 and i7 so that you cant use all of the x299 features unless you had one of the high end i7s or i9s. I figured there was no point in upgrading from a 1060 unless it was a huge upgrade. AMD does have some pretty nice stuff for a cheaper price but I'm not trying to build a whole new computer when the one I have now isnt being used to it's full potential.

RodroX

Estimable
I meant the cheapest i9 x series cpu so that I can use the quad channel memory and everything else that it unlocks. Intel limited the i5 and i7 so that you cant use all of the x299 features unless you had one of the high end i7s or i9s. I figured there was no point in upgrading from a 1060 unless it was a huge upgrade. AMD does have some pretty nice stuff for a cheaper price but I'm not trying to build a whole new computer when the one I have now isnt being used to it's full potential.
Quad chanel memory for gaming is pretty much close to nothing. But indeed a Core i9 x series will give you more extra horse power for gaming.

I do wonder how much those chips are, and you have to add a very beefy cooler to support that new cpu, probably going to spend a lot of cash.

Anyways have fun!

Reactions: sodium.in.toilet

ASK THE COMMUNITY