Question i5 8300H vs i7 8750H thermal throttling

MeridianXV88

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013
Hi,

I would like some advice on choosing a laptop. I'm trying to choose between an i5 8300H and a i7 8750H, the laptop is exactly the same accept for the processors on the Lenovo Legion Y530. The price difference between the i5 and i7 version is about 10%, I read a comment about how it's not a good idea to have a 6-core CPU in a laptop because the added heat will thermal throttle more than the 4 cores on the i5. Would there be a major difference in these CPU's in terms of performance and thermal throttling. Should I go with the i5 because it will remain at higher clock speeds, I will be using the laptop for gaming and for coding and working on Photoshop, I do tend to have multiple apps open at once, many Chrome browser tabs open and YouTube playing in the background almost always.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thermal throttling depepnds on laptop. You would see better performance from the i7 even if it did throttle due to the extra cores. The 8300h is a pretty powerfull cpu and i have no throttling issues in my acer nitro 5, but i would go for thr i7 if you have it in your budget.