[SOLVED] I5 8400 boost problem

Apr 19, 2021
For some reason my i5 8400 only boosts to 3.5 ghz after I swapped my motherboard from an hp to a gigabyte b365 ds3h. On the hp motherboard it would hold 3.7-3.8 ghz under full load at 75 degrees celcius. On the new motherboard it will only hold 3.5ghz under full load and under 50 degrees(cuz new cooler). I went on to change some bios settings and stuff with no success. If anyone knows how to fix this then please help.

Solution
Interesting. Rare for an OEM motherboard to outperform an off the shelf model. B365 isn't a premium chipset, but still to hamper the CPU like that at stock settings is odd.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As long as turbot boost is enabled, along with all the C-States, I don't see why it wouldn't boost to 4.0Ghz single core.

Not sitting at base clock, so something is working.

Got an 8-pin CPU connector. Not exactly great power delivery, but then it is a locked board. Maybe check the VRM temps and see if they are staying reasonable? Something like Hardware Monitor should be able to tell you that. Might just need more airflow over the board, or you can take the step of buying some heatsinks for the VRMs.

Apr 19, 2021
As long as turbot boost is enabled, along with all the C-States, I don't see why it wouldn't boost to 4.0Ghz single core.

Not sitting at base clock, so something is working.

Got an 8-pin CPU connector. Not exactly great power delivery, but then it is a locked board. Maybe check the VRM temps and see if they are staying reasonable? Something like Hardware Monitor should be able to tell you that. Might just need more airflow over the board, or you can take the step of buying some heatsinks for the VRMs.
Even if the 8 pin isn't much, it should be a enough for a 65 watt tdp cpu. Also the old hp motherboard had a proprietary 4 pin which was nothing compared to the newer one

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
8-pin is more than enough, I was speaking to the lack of cooling on the VRMs, if they are getting warm enough, then it may begin throttling. I'm sure it is something simpler though.

4-pin is actually the original standard, and is quite common place on lower end boards. 4+4 was added when CPUs got a little more thirsty, and some boards go farther and have an additional 4-pin or multiple 8-pin. Some of the really big boards that take Intel X chips and Threadripper have 3 or more 8 pin.

Apr 19, 2021
8-pin is more than enough, I was speaking to the lack of cooling on the VRMs, if they are getting warm enough, then it may begin throttling. I'm sure it is something simpler though.

4-pin is actually the original standard, and is quite common place on lower end boards. 4+4 was added when CPUs got a little more thirsty, and some boards go farther and have an additional 4-pin or multiple 8-pin. Some of the really big boards that take Intel X chips and Threadripper have 3 or more 8 pin.
Later today I’ll install hardware info and check vrm temps. If that’s the problem I’ll probably buy some vrm heat sinks.

Apr 19, 2021

So I installed hwinfo and the VRM MOS (I'm assuming are the Vrms) stayed well below 60C when the cpu was under full load. This leads me to believe that the vrms arent the problem but then again I dont really know what I'm doing.

Apr 19, 2021
Were Gigabyte's assorted B365 drivers downloaded and installed?
http://me.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/B365M-DS3H-rev-10#support-dl

There are drivers for audio, chipset, LAN, SATA/RAID, and VGA drivers available...

You might also try installing and tinkering with Intel's XTU, which might allow overriding the boost duration and/or power limits, any of which might allow higher clocks and for a longer period.
I installed the newest bios version and that really didn't help. I also downloaded throttlestop and increased the power limit and boost duration. That didn't work either.

Apr 19, 2021
I found a workaround. I installed throttlestop and set the power limit to 80w instead of 65w. Now it boosts to 3.79ghz on all cores instead of the measly 3.5 it was getting before.

Reactions: uWebb429