Question i5 8400 Compatibility

Joker_1

Honorable
Jul 23, 2016
Hey there, I've been wanting to upgrade my i3 7100 for a longer time now and I've been looking for a better replacement for it and I found out about the Intel's 8th gen i5 8400. How would this processor perform in comparison to my i3 7100 in gaming? I usually play newer titles such as PUBG or F1 2018. I have a ASUS B250M motherboard and I was wondering if the 8400 is compatible with it? The GPU I have is a RX 470.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Well I've got a tight budget here, any other processor that would be somewhat performing well in comparison to the i3 and would be compatible with my mobo?
There are, but the prices for 6th/7th gen parts (the ones that would work with your board) are pretty awful given how they perform relative to newer parts, so you're often better off upgrading CPU + mobo. Unless you can find a good deal on used parts.

For example, a quad core i5 7500 is $200 new. For that price you could get an equivalent quad core i3 8100 and a new motherboard, and that new motherboard would allow you to eventually upgrade to a 6 core/12 thread CPU (technically up to a 8core/16thread, but I don't know if I'd run an 8 core CPU on a low end motherboard).

Or if you went with Ryzen, you could get a 6 core/12 thread CPU and motherboard for ~$200.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joker_1

Joker_1

Honorable
Jul 23, 2016
There are, but the prices for 6th/7th gen parts (the ones that would work with your board) are pretty awful given how they perform relative to newer parts, so you're often better off upgrading CPU + mobo. Unless you can find a good deal on used parts.

For example, a quad core i5 7500 is $200 new. For that price you could get a quad core i3 8100 and a new motherboard, and that new motherboard would allow you to eventually upgrade to a 6 core/12 thread CPU (technically up to a 8core/16thread, but I don't know if I'd run an 8 core CPU on a low end motherboard).

Or if you went with Ryzen, you could get a 6 core/12 thread CPU and motherboard for ~$200.

Okay, thank you both for the help.

TRENDING THREADS