Question i5 8400 I got seems as bad as my i5 3570

Luke876

Honorable
Feb 28, 2015
I'm still noticing some drops in frames on games, but in particular Rocket League which is a game that has very low requirements is now running worse than with my old processor.

Is there any good software out there where I can benchmark my CPU and find out if it's performing as well as other CPUs of the same model?

I got it off Amazon but it came loose in the Amazon box (zero padding). Whilst the CPU was fine and wrapped tight in the plastic container I'm now wondering if all the moving around by the actual box itself during transit could have slightly damaged it?

I also got a new mobo but don't see how that is an issue. I've downloaded all the latest drivers for my mobo and GPU.

InvalidError

Titan
If the CPU's box survived, then the CPU didn't get exposed to impacts anywhere near hard enough to damage it. If all the RAM is showing up and usable, then the DIMMs and motherboard should be fine too. Just make sure you installed them in the correct slots for dual-channel operation.

As BoT wrote, if you just moved your boot HDD/SSD over, you may need a Windows re-install to clear up leftover driver crud from your previous system. Windows often does weird things after a CPU+MoBo swap.

Luke876

Honorable
Feb 28, 2015
If the CPU's box survived, then the CPU didn't get exposed to impacts anywhere near hard enough to damage it. If all the RAM is showing up and usable, then the DIMMs and motherboard should be fine too. Just make sure you installed them in the correct slots for dual-channel operation.

As BoT wrote, if you just moved your boot HDD/SSD over, you may need a Windows re-install to clear up leftover driver crud from your previous system. Windows often does weird things after a CPU+MoBo swap.
Reinstalled Windows when I replaced the CPU and mobo the other day.

Anyway, nevermind, I'm an idiot. I didn't have them in dual channel set up. Changed it and now the new report shows 42 percentile with my RAM which I'm happy with.

I'm replacing the CPU today with an intel 8600k + Hyper 212X but I expect my GPU (Gtx 970) is the reason I'm still experiencing performance issues on games like RE2.