I5 8400 & I5 8600k

Martin2k

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Which one would be better for gaming on a budget. I will probably try to stream (game@1080p & stream@720p 60fps) and video edit time to time as a HOBBY. I was thinking of getting the 8400 and if streaming&editing is a success in financial meaning I upgrade to I7 8700k instead. Correct me if my plan is flawed. Also I have a GTX 760 which I'd want to upgrade soon too.
I mainly play:
Rainbow 6
GTA V
Overwatch
Cs:Go
ARMA 3
etc. AAA games that i can't remember right now.

Solution
If your on a budget, I would go with the 8400. It is a really good performing chip for $180. The higher clock speeds of the 8600k wont help as much as more threads for streaming or video editing.

You could always go with AMD. The new Ryzen refresh chips will be released in a month. They will stream and edit much better than the intel chips, but they don't game as well, but they still game pretty good. If I were building a gaming only machine, then I would go with intel. But if I were wanting to game, and stream, and edit videos, such as yourself, then I would go with AMD. The 1600 makes a strong use case here and is in the same price range as the 8400.
If your on a budget, I would go with the 8400. It is a really good performing chip for $180. The higher clock speeds of the 8600k wont help as much as more threads for streaming or video editing.

You could always go with AMD. The new Ryzen refresh chips will be released in a month. They will stream and edit much better than the intel chips, but they don't game as well, but they still game pretty good. If I were building a gaming only machine, then I would go with intel. But if I were wanting to game, and stream, and edit videos, such as yourself, then I would go with AMD. The 1600 makes a strong use case here and is in the same price range as the 8400.

Solution

gussrtk

Honorable
Really wouldn't bother with an i5-8400 (as great of a chip as it is though).

My suggestion would be the R5-1600, Great multi-tasker with capable gaming performance (but of course, wait for the new chips)

Ultimate in your budget situation would be, an i7-8700non-k. Overall end price of the build is very similar of the 8600k (the 8700 likely being lower priced), but with much greater performance capability. This would be because of 6cores+6HT with a strong TurboBoost on the chip, an 8600k would need a beast of a cooler for the CPU to surpass that, which puts it's price quite high, but the 8600k will still be missing the hyper threads offered by 8700.

Comes down to Ryzen 1600 or i7-8700 for you.

[I know answer was chosen, but some extra input should be welcomed]

Last thing... a "PLAN" of buying lets say... an i5-8400 and then upgrading to i7-8700k.... is no good. Spending load of money for nothing on that first 8400 CPU. Who's gonna buy it afteR? This has been a Fake theory that everyone seems to like to think about, but when time comes... no one wants to dish out the money for an i7 afterwards anyways. Spend your money once.

Martin2k

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

From benchmarks the R5 is great with multitask but, I don't think I will be multitasking etc. that often. Maybe 1 or 2 streams per week and video edits whenever. That's why I'm in this dilemma right now.

The 8400, 8600k, and the 1600 are all really good CPUs. If gaming is your focus, then go with Intel and get whichever CPU is within your budget.