[SOLVED] I5-8400 idling around 55 °C on boot

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
recently i noticed that my cpu has been idleing around 50-55°C , with the air temperature being around 22°C . When gaming it increases to around 75-80°C , my gtx 1050ti peaks to around 60°C. My case is relatively ok in terms of ventilation and has two fans(one pulling, one pushing).
I remember when i had gotten my mobo replaced, I dont think the pc repair shop person had replaced the thermal paste on the stock intel cooler. Would reusing themal paste be the problem?
should i just replace the garbage intel cooler for a better aftemarket cooler anyway?

edit: went with an aftermarket cpu cooler

Last edited:
Solution
That would be fine. But so would this, and is a bit cheaper. This is an excellent cooler. The best 120mm cooler Tom's hardware has ever tested at the time they tested it, and it blows that Shadow rock slim out of the water, for 14 bucks less than what that costs.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gammaxx-400-slim-tower-cpu-cooler,4460-2.html

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $20.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-09 13:14 EST-0500
two fans(one pulling, one pushing

Pulling what/where? Pushing what/where?

Do you mean one INTAKE fan, and one EXHAUST fan? If so, do you mean one in front and one in the rear? What size are they?

Yes, reusing thermal paste is A problem, whether is THE problem is certainly a question that needs to be answered.

Replacing the stock cooler with something better is certainly a good idea, as well as doing so with fresh and quality thermal paste, but making sure there is adequate and properly configured airflow through the case is a pretty important consideration as well.

Just having some fans moving air around in God knows what kind of pattern, doesn't equal a proper cooling configuration, necessarily.

You'd be surprised how many dumb setups I've seen, not that YOU made one, but I've seen plenty with all fan blowing out, or all fans blowing in, or no fans blowing out OR in but two fans on the CPU cooler both flowing directly against each other, or both flowing in direct opposition to each other, or several other completely bastardized configurations that couldn't possibly result in a properly configured air path. So knowing what that looks like, for SURE, is a very helpful thing.

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
Pulling what/where? Pushing what/where?

Do you mean one INTAKE fan, and one EXHAUST fan? If so, do you mean one in front and one in the rear? What size are they?

Yes, reusing thermal paste is A problem, whether is THE problem is certainly a question that needs to be answered.

Replacing the stock cooler with something better is certainly a good idea, as well as doing so with fresh and quality thermal paste, but making sure there is adequate and properly configured airflow through the case is a pretty important consideration as well.

Just having some fans moving air around in God knows what kind of pattern, doesn't equal a proper cooling configuration, necessarily.

You'd be surprised how many dumb <Mod Edit> I've seen, not that YOU are one, but I've seen plenty with all fan blowing out, or all fans blowing in, or no fans blowing out OR in but two fans on the CPU cooler both flowing directly against each other, or both flowing in direct opposition to each other, or several other completely bastardized configurations that couldn't possibly result in a properly configured air path. So knowing what that looks like, for SURE, is a very helpful thing.
lol ok, 120mm fans one at the front pulling air in obviously and one at the back exhausting the air out

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, good. That is a lot more helpful.

What is your case model?

What is your motherboard model?

It might be a good idea to first simply get a tube of decent thermal paste like Thermal grizzly Kryonaut and a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol, and some paper coffee filters or lint free cloths, and clean all the old thermal past off and apply new paste and see if that solves the issue.

If you'd prefer to simply put a better cooler in it's place if you're going to have to go through all that anyhow, then we need to know your case model in order to be sure that the height of any CPU cooler is going to be supported.

That would be fine. But so would this, and is a bit cheaper. This is an excellent cooler. The best 120mm cooler Tom's hardware has ever tested at the time they tested it, and it blows that Shadow rock slim out of the water, for 14 bucks less than what that costs.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gammaxx-400-slim-tower-cpu-cooler,4460-2.html

PCPartPicker Part List

Solution

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017

PCPartPicker Part List

I'm just choosing the pure rock slim to meet case clearance. The gammax cooler seems to exceed my max case width

The Gammaxx 400 is only 155mm. Fairly short for a tower CPU cooler. I'd be very surprised if it didn't fit that case if it's like the one in the picture you linked to, especially if it has the extended section of the side panel for additional clearance. But the Pure rock slim will offer somewhat better performance than the stock cooler as well. I'd get a tube of Thermal grizzly Kryonaut paste as well, if it were me.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Griz...r_1_2?keywords=Kryonaut&qid=1581286929&sr=8-2

Or Noctua NT-H1 or H2. Or even Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic MX4.

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
The Gammaxx 400 is only 155mm. Fairly short for a tower CPU cooler. I'd be very surprised if it didn't fit that case if it's like the one in the picture you linked to, especially if it has the extended section of the side panel for additional clearance. But the Pure rock slim will offer somewhat better performance than the stock cooler as well. I'd get a tube of Thermal grizzly Kryonaut paste as well, if it were me.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Griz...r_1_2?keywords=Kryonaut&qid=1581286929&sr=8-2

Or Noctua NT-H1 or H2. Or even Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic MX4.
Ok, i'll remeasure the case width but i'm honestly more concerned with noise. is this the exact cpu cooler? https://www.umart.com.au/Deepcool-G...775--FM1-AM3-2+--with-4-Heatpipes_22987G.html
On the page it doesnt list my motherboards socket as supported

Last edited:
I wouldn't, unless you absolutely had to for size tolerance reasons. That unit has only a 92mm fan and heatsink, much smaller than these other coolers. It's a quality product, for what it is, but what it is, is not comparable to these others.

The first thing you probably ought to do is take a measurement from the approximate top of your CPU to where it would hit the edge of your case side panel. Guessing might only result in the need to send back a cooler, no matter what cooler you go with.

Better yet might be to contact the company you bought the system from and ask them for the model of the exact case that you purchased. If they are still in business they should be able to provide that to you. If not, then taking a measurement is your best option if you cannot identify the case. If you can take a picture of the case and post it here, we can probably, usually, identify it.

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
I wouldn't, unless you absolutely had to for size tolerance reasons. That unit has only a 92mm fan and heatsink, much smaller than these other coolers. It's a quality product, for what it is, but what it is, is not comparable to these others.

The first thing you probably ought to do is take a measurement from the approximate top of your CPU to where it would hit the edge of your case side panel. Guessing might only result in the need to send back a cooler, no matter what cooler you go with.

Better yet might be to contact the company you bought the system from and ask them for the model of the exact case that you purchased. If they are still in business they should be able to provide that to you. If not, then taking a measurement is your best option if you cannot identify the case. If you can take a picture of the case and post it here, we can probably, usually, identify it.

ok from what i could measure without taking off the stock cooler, the width from the top of the stock cooler to the edge of the case (not including the side panels extra room) is approximately 11.5 cm. The side panels extra spacing is around 1cm give or take but i would rather not use that space.
people say that the stock cooler is around 5 cm tall. but 1551 socket coolers on amazon measure around 7cm, probably it is including the fully extended mounting feet in the measurement.
so i have maybe roughly 16.5cm of actual proper case space.

I'm pretty sure this case is some generic oem manufacturer case so there is basically no information on it.

edit: i decided to get the deepcool Gammax 400 and a tube of Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Paste 3.5g Tube

Last edited:
So if you have around 160mm, plus probably a little bit of space because the side panel has a relief designed into it that allows for a slightly taller cooler (Which is exactly WHY the side panel is like that), then you have plenty of space for just about any kind of cooler you want to install and certainly plenty for the 155mm Gammaxx 400. The Noctua paste is very good as well. I think you'll be pleased with those two items and HOPEFULLY your case airflow is not a problem because in some cases the cooler itself is actually simply starved for air, but one intake and one exhaust, if both are facing the correct directions and are actually oriented AS intake and exhaust (And we'll assume they are since they were preinstalled) then for that CPU and graphics card which are not particularly high TDP, it should be plenty.

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
So if you have around 160mm, plus probably a little bit of space because the side panel has a relief designed into it that allows for a slightly taller cooler (Which is exactly WHY the side panel is like that), then you have plenty of space for just about any kind of cooler you want to install and certainly plenty for the 155mm Gammaxx 400. The Noctua paste is very good as well. I think you'll be pleased with those two items and HOPEFULLY your case airflow is not a problem because in some cases the cooler itself is actually simply starved for air, but one intake and one exhaust, if both are facing the correct directions and are actually oriented AS intake and exhaust (And we'll assume they are since they were preinstalled) then for that CPU and graphics card which are not particularly high TDP, it should be plenty.
Thanks for your help,
I installed the two case fans myself, i doubt the case is that bad for airflow, in the case it is ill upgrade the case to something better in the future.
i thought the side panel space relief was for placing extra fans since it has 2 120mm fan grille mounts on it.

It is dual purpose. In the even that you mount intake fans there, it is for extra clearance for those so that they will not interfere with the CPU cooler. In the even you use a tall tower CPU cooler, it allows for extra clearance for that but obviously in that case you cannot THEN use fans in that location, although I have seen some people do both and mount the fans externally on the panel. Looks crazy and kind of stupid BUT it WILL do the job if you NEED to do both.

Which in some cases I imagine depending on the hardware, some people DID need to do. In your case, not going to be necessary. Your CPU and graphics card are not big heat makers compared to higher tiered hardware.

If you installed the fans I would just make sure that the front fan blades are facing out of the case and the rear fan blades are facing into the case. Or, if the fans have directional arrows on the frame, which most decent fans do, that the arrows are facing the correct directions with the front fan arrows pointing into the case and the rear ones pointing out. Front, bottom and sides as intake fans, top and rear as exhaust fans, in 99.9% of modern configurations. As long as they are, then you are good.

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
It is dual purpose. In the even that you mount intake fans there, it is for extra clearance for those so that they will not interfere with the CPU cooler. In the even you use a tall tower CPU cooler, it allows for extra clearance for that but obviously in that case you cannot THEN use fans in that location, although I have seen some people do both and mount the fans externally on the panel. Looks crazy and kind of stupid BUT it WILL do the job if you NEED to do both.

Which in some cases I imagine depending on the hardware, some people DID need to do. In your case, not going to be necessary. Your CPU and graphics card are not big heat makers compared to higher tiered hardware.

If you installed the fans I would just make sure that the front fan blades are facing out of the case and the rear fan blades are facing into the case. Or, if the fans have directional arrows on the frame, which most decent fans do, that the arrows are facing the correct directions with the front fan arrows pointing into the case and the rear ones pointing out. Front, bottom and sides as intake fans, top and rear as exhaust fans, in 99.9% of modern configurations. As long as they are, then you are good.
I just installed the cooler, temps dropped down to around 29-32 idle in a probably 23-24 degree room, the stock intel thermal paste on the cpu was pretty dried up.
turns out the noise in my pc is mainly the psu fan.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With the equipment it's pushing, any halfway decent psu is going to be silent. There isn't enough load. Pushed crazy hard you'd still only be looking at @ 200w-230w. Gaming loads will be closer to 150w-200w.

That's chump change. You got a custom pre-built, so basically a lot of hype, and the cheapest parts around. Sorry. That's the only way they can turn a profit. Let me guess, it's a 500w-700w psu, with a Lot of Chinese writing.

Take a look at the specifications decal on the side of the power supply. Locate the model number listed on there. Post the model number OR a picture of the label, here.

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
With the equipment it's pushing, any halfway decent psu is going to be silent. There isn't enough load. Pushed crazy hard you'd still only be looking at @ 200w-230w. Gaming loads will be closer to 150w-200w.

That's chump change. You got a custom pre-built, so basically a lot of hype, and the cheapest parts around. Sorry. That's the only way they can turn a profit. Let me guess, it's a 500w-700w psu, with a Lot of Chinese writing.
Take a look at the specifications decal on the side of the power supply. Locate the model number listed on there. Post the model number OR a picture of the label, here.

RK-P550

Ok, that needs to come out. That's, well, that's really just about as bad as it gets to be honest. That is what we refer to as a "dumpster fire" type unit.

I would really, REALLY, recommend that you not use that more than absolutely necessary until you get something better installed in there.

Are you able to pull the trigger on replacing it with something else now?

Any chance you'll be upgrading the graphics card anytime in the next year or two, or do you plan to stick with your current graphics card for a good long time?

Any idea of what you might be able to budget for a replacement power supply?