[SOLVED] I5-8400 idling around 55 °C on boot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
recently i noticed that my cpu has been idleing around 50-55°C , with the air temperature being around 22°C . When gaming it increases to around 75-80°C , my gtx 1050ti peaks to around 60°C. My case is relatively ok in terms of ventilation and has two fans(one pulling, one pushing).
I remember when i had gotten my mobo replaced, I dont think the pc repair shop person had replaced the thermal paste on the stock intel cooler. Would reusing themal paste be the problem?
should i just replace the garbage intel cooler for a better aftemarket cooler anyway?

edit: went with an aftermarket cpu cooler

Last edited:
Solution
That would be fine. But so would this, and is a bit cheaper. This is an excellent cooler. The best 120mm cooler Tom's hardware has ever tested at the time they tested it, and it blows that Shadow rock slim out of the water, for 14 bucks less than what that costs.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gammaxx-400-slim-tower-cpu-cooler,4460-2.html

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $20.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-09 13:14 EST-0500

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Wow. According to everything I can find, that RK-P550 has just 18A on the 12v rail. That's 216w (if you are lucky), not even close to the 550w rating. Most of that rating is coming from the addition of the 3.3v and 5V rails, pretty useless for a modern pc and a cheap way to get a big number.

Pretty much explains why you have issues, the psu fan is maxed out rpm trying to cool a psu running its 12v rail at almost (if not over) maximum capacity.

Many psus are over-designed, made to run and be perfectly stable at 100% power loads. Yours is Not one of them.

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
Ok, that needs to come out. That's, well, that's really just about as bad as it gets to be honest. That is what we refer to as a "dumpster fire" type unit.

I would really, REALLY, recommend that you not use that more than absolutely necessary until you get something better installed in there.

Are you able to pull the trigger on replacing it with something else now?

Any chance you'll be upgrading the graphics card anytime in the next year or two, or do you plan to stick with your current graphics card for a good long time?

Any idea of what you might be able to budget for a replacement power supply?
Yikes, um i can probs upgrade sometime this year, i'll wont upgrade to a higher tier gpu anytime soon. honestly anything under around 80 aud with atleast some upgradeability in the future, the lower the better cos i'm not using the pc as much due to study commitments.

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
Wow. According to everything I can find, that RK-P550 has just 18A on the 12v rail. That's 216w (if you are lucky), not even close to the 550w rating. Most of that rating is coming from the addition of the 3.3v and 5V rails, pretty useless for a modern pc and a cheap way to get a big number.

Pretty much explains why you have issues, the psu fan is maxed out rpm trying to cool a psu running its 12v rail at almost (if not over) maximum capacity.

Many psus are over-designed, made to run and be perfectly stable at 100% power loads. Yours is Not one of them.
eh i literally know nothing about psus, i guess its a miracle the psu hasnt blown up yet for a year and a half

The point is, you don't need to upgrade "sometime this year". You need to upgrade now. That PSU IS going to either cause a fire, ruin your hardware, or both. It's not a question of IF, it's a question of WHEN and to what extent.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you scrap together the money to do something like this, as soon as possible. This is the least expensive unit available that is enough capacity and also not a complete piece of crap. This isn't a top shelf unit by any means, but it's 10x better than what you have now AND it's about 100w more than what you really need, so you'll have a bit of headroom in the even you decide to upgrade the graphics card or add other hardware like additional drives, fans, lighting or just allow enough overhead to keep the unit really quiet even at full load.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($89.00 @ Austin Computers)
Total: $89.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-16 20:13 AEDT+1100

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
The point is, you don't need to upgrade "sometime this year". You need to upgrade now. That PSU IS going to either cause a fire, ruin your hardware, or both. It's not a question of IF, it's a question of WHEN and to what extent.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you scrap together the money to do something like this, as soon as possible. This is the least expensive unit available that is enough capacity and also not a complete piece of crap. This isn't a top shelf unit by any means, but it's 10x better than what you have now AND it's about 100w more than what you really need, so you'll have a bit of headroom in the even you decide to upgrade the graphics card or add other hardware like additional drives, fans, lighting or just allow enough overhead to keep the unit really quiet even at full load.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($89.00 @ Austin Computers)
Total: $89.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-16 20:13 AEDT+1100
Money isnt the issue but i'll take your advice to upgrade now anyway, how about the be quiet! Pure Power 11 500W

Last edited:
Honestly, I dislike Be Quiet's power supplies. They are generally overpriced and mediocre. For the price of one of their units you can generally get something much better.

If you're willing to spend another twenty bucks, this unit would be FAR superior to either the Corsair CX or the Be Quiet Pure power 11 and has a 7 year warranty.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $119.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-17 05:51 AEDT+1100

This review is of the 650w model, but it is the same platform and should have similar or identical performance. If Super Flower had a presence in the US, rather than only through building the higher end EVGA units, they would get recommended a lot more here, and elsewhere. They are a power supply manufacturer, not just a "brand".

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/super-flower-leadex-iii-650-w/7.html

Reactions: Unolocogringo

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
Honestly, I dislike Be Quiet's power supplies. They are generally overpriced and mediocre. For the price of one of their units you can generally get something much better.

If you're willing to spend another twenty bucks, this unit would be FAR superior to either the Corsair CX or the Be Quiet Pure power 11 and has a 7 year warranty.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $119.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-17 05:51 AEDT+1100

This review is of the 650w model, but it is the same platform and should have similar or identical performance. If Super Flower had a presence in the US, rather than only through building the higher end EVGA units, they would get recommended a lot more here, and elsewhere. They are a power supply manufacturer, not just a "brand".

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/super-flower-leadex-iii-650-w/7.html
ok will consider getting the superflower. is seasonic on par with them interms of i guess performance and reliability at this price point?

Last edited:
Seasonic and Super Flower are two of the top tier power supply companies in the world who actually manufacture power supplies rather than just slap their own label on somebody else's design OR design them and have somebody else built it for them. Seasonic builds their own units, plus builds units for other companies like Antec, Corsair, XFX, etc.

Super Flower builds their own units, plus they build units for several other brands including EVGA. The EVGA G2, G3, P2 and T2 units are all build on some flavor of Super Flower Leadex or Leadex II platform. I'm not sure that EVGA has anything currently based on the Leadex III platform because they've gone cheaper on some of the existing series, and are not getting much recommended anymore like they used to be. Which is a pity, because they are shooting themselves in the foot by moving away from the better Super Flower platforms.

Anyhow, if you read this you can pretty well find a unit yourself based on the information provided.

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
Anyhow, if you read this you can pretty well find a unit yourself based on the information provided.

Ok thanks, I'll have a look.
there's one seasonic unit i found which is the same price as the super flower you recommended but I have no clue if it is better or worse. https://www.umart.com.au/Seasonic-5...Semi-Modular-Power-Supply--GM-500_52961G.html

Last edited:
The Leadex III is a better unit than that one in my opinion, but the Core GM series are just the new renamed version of the Focus plus units so they are good too. Either unit is a good choice. At the same price, and with an extra 50w headroom, the Leadex is the better option I think.

Leadex III units are pretty much on par with Seasonic Prime gold or Corsair RMx units. Maybe a bit better than the RMx models. Opinions on that probably vary from person to person but they are all excellent power supplies.

Andrew 3584

Honorable
May 23, 2017
The Leadex III is a better unit than that one in my opinion, but the Core GM series are just the new renamed version of the Focus plus units so they are good too. Either unit is a good choice. At the same price, and with an extra 50w headroom, the Leadex is the better option I think.

Leadex III units are pretty much on par with Seasonic Prime gold or Corsair RMx units. Maybe a bit better than the RMx models. Opinions on that probably vary from person to person but they are all excellent power supplies.
Alright thanks for your help, I'll get the leadex III based on your advice

Last edited: