Question i5 8400 really underperforming

Pepko

Commendable
Mar 26, 2017
Hello,
I have a serious problem. My i5 8400 is underperforming. I was having really low fps in games than I had before, so I reinstalled my Windows and benchmarked my PC.

Results: View: https://imgur.com/m0gkHj0

It's even worse, I have no idea what's going on. I bought this CPU like a month ago, then suddenly GPU broke, got new one a week ago and it's magic. When I turn on Turbo Boost as I had, my temps jumps in 2 seconds between 20 C. When I am playing games it goes up to 80 C, my fan is loud, it feels like it's gonna explode each second. If someone has idea how could I fix it, I would be really thankful.

PS: When I restart PC my fans go crazy, when I start up PC it doesn't do it. I don't understand anything.

Whole rig:
ASUS DUAL GTX1060 O6G
8 GB DDR4 2400MHZ
ASUS H310M-K
Zalman ZM600-LX
WD 1TB BLUE

The temps were high at intel stock cooler so I bought coolermaster hyper evo 212 led and it's the same, if not even worse.

Last edited:

Pepko

Commendable
Mar 26, 2017
You have no turbo boost, did you turn it off?
might want to update the bios
As I said, that's next problem, when I turn on turbo boost my temps randomly jumps between 20 C, in CS:GO I get even 80 C, there are extremely loud fands. Btw it might something to do with: "When I restart PC my fans go crazy, when I start up PC it doesn't do it. I don't understand anything. " Because it never did before.

InvalidError

Titan
Intel's stock heatsink has very tight tolerances to apply adequate contact force for good heat transfer. In my experience, they do not work particularly well with runny aftermarket thermal pastes, only with the original almost clay-like TIM, some of that problem may also be due to the plastic pins and frame warping over time under heat. You will likely need to replace it with something else.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
your board seems to be the problem, very cheap vrm design.

also your board may be overvolting too much to compensate for voltage drop due to cheap vrm.

download hwinfo64 and run its sensor, then play games for few minutes then take screenshot of expanded hwinfo64 sensor to confirm it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The hyper212 series has one of the industries worst mounting designs, has for years. It's a royal pain to get on right with that stupid adjustment nub in the X. If that thing is even slightly loose or crooked, the cooler doesn't sit tight enough, the cpu gets hot, sends the temp through to the fan, which screams at you and does next to nothing as there's improper contact to begin with.

Temps under load are supposed to jump. If you figure the average idle temp is in the low 30's, just opening windows explorer will put temps in the mid 50's. That's entirely normal behavior. Happens with even the biggest cpu coolers.

Figure a heatsink is nothing more than a big chunk of metal. It's going to take a few seconds for it to absorb cpu heat changes. However, the temp sensor in the cpu is reporting temps 2x a second and workloads change in 1/64th of a second. The temps in a cpu change much faster than the heatsinks ability to absorb the changes. So temps will spike temporarily, then settle down to the workload.

Your cpu is underperforming because it's averaging 2.8GHz, when every other 8400 in that test is performing under turbo boost speeds. Your original pic shows cpu: 2.8GHz, turbo: 2.8GHz. If you are the only person walking in a race, and everyone else is running, guess who comes in dead last.

Reset your bios for factory optimized settings and save.
Mount the hyper212, correctly, that also means mounting the fan on the heatsink in the right direction, with paste/cleaning done correctly.

No reason an 8400 should come close to overheating with stock settings and that cooler unless the airflow in your case is absolutely terrible and it's no better than an oven.

InvalidError

Titan
The hyper212 series has one of the industries worst mounting designs, has for years. It's a royal pain to get on right with that stupid adjustment nub in the X.
While the clip may be a bit cumbersome, I have never had any real issues installing one. I'd rather have the somewhat inconvenient clip that goes over the block and screws into studs than any of the newer heatsinks with stubby half-brackets that screw in on both sides from under the aluminum block using short ultra-fine-threaded screws, always worried those will rip right out of the aluminum block over time. Not an issue with a steel clip that goes over the block and uses steel screws that thread into steel studs. The 'nub' in the middle doesn't do much as far as putting pressure on the CPU goes, it doesn't even touch the bottom of the hole until it is most of the way in. The screw is mainly there to hold the two bracket pieces together and keep the block centered, haven't bothered with it after installing my first one. The stiff springs on the four mounting screws provide all the force I have ever needed. Yes, you can still twist the heatsink and turn it a little, but that will happen regardless of how much you over-tighten everything since the bracket's centering screw has ~1.5mm of slack all around it. Doesn't hurt anything unless you obsess over it and end up ruiniing something in the process of 'fixing' it.

The fans revving up high immediately after a restart is all quite normal, the fan runs at max until the mainboard figures out CPU temps and ramps the fans down somewhat...

Temps jumping from 28-30C to 80C under heavy load is also normal for an i5-8400 with a factory cooler, it has been reported that these CPUs are right on the edge of thermal throttling under a gaming load. (If the Intel fan is obnoxious, I'd look for a Mugen Scythe, or Noctua sink/fan....; check out your case's allowable cooling unit heeight before ordering)

So what are the actual performance issues ?

TRENDING THREADS