[SOLVED] I5 8400 running very high when playing fortnite 100%, is there something wrong?? Please help a brother out 🙏

Jun 19, 2019
Setup -
i5-8400
Gtx 1060 6gb
1*8 gb ram 2400 mhz
H310m m.2 lga 1151
144hz Aoc monitor
1tb HD

This is my first post, I can answer any follow up questions!!

Run on comp(low) settings, cpu usage is always high with no other programs running. Pc optimized for better performance, no OC of cpu or gpu. Occasional game crash and some lag spikes in game, especially early game when fighting. I know I can benefit a lot from a 2*8gb 3200mhz ram (which I will be purchasing) but will my cpu still run very high? Is there something wrong?

Solution
sounds like it's not working as expected if cpu is high when you're not doing anything substantial. you always want to run ram in a multiple of it's channel which is two on all the LGA 1151 boards. download hardware monitor and check some temps. if you have no extra programs running besides windows stuff you should have 45C or so and 0-3% cpu use.

According to gpucheck you should get 150fps+ low 1080p in fortnight. I doubt you will get this using single channel memory though.
Jun 19, 2019
what are the temps of cpu under load? what cooler are u using? did u apply the thermal paste correctly?
Thank you so much for the reply, allow me to get more detailed.
Im a pc noob for know, my pc was built by a pro correctly. I din´t buy a cooler to go with it, have no idea about thermal paste but guess everything is altright. I haven´t run afterburner yet so im not sure about all emps and %. But when I open task manager cpu is always 80%+ usually very high to the max, gpu hangs around 60% i guess and memory is also high, similar to the gpu.

Jun 19, 2019
Fortnite scales very well and needs pretty little GPU power so yes if you have it running without any FPS limit it will push a lot of cores to the limit.
Just use one of the FPS limit presets of the game or make one of your own with MSI afterburner.
I noticed on creative the higher the fps the better it runs, someone said something about less input lag, and I can definatly feel it.

Jun 19, 2019
by the way, your motherboard will only run RAM at 2666MHz max. 2x8GB 2666MHz would be fine if cheaper, other RAM will run at 2666 as well, 3200MHz could be the same price tag
Im not sure if I should respond every answer to my post or it will get a little crowded here...
But going on If you could take the time I will elaborate more. This is my current setup and I plan in building a monster PC, i7 9700k - gtx 2080 or something close - best mobo (390s) - 16gb of fast ram 3200mhz - and fast ssd with cooler and adequate power suply. The thing is I will buy it separately, first the ssd 16gm of ram and the CPU, then in a couple of months the rest... my first purchase I would like to put in my pc the ssd and the ram, and the cpu is also compatible, Its the best cpu in the market with the worst mobo for it but works in theory, I would like to know if using this cpu on the current setub is a bad idea, and if i should at least buy some cooling for it. TY

Jun 19, 2019
Download the BIOS from gigabyte´s support homepage for your specific model, unzip it and copy it to an USB pen drive (root directory)
Restart the PC, enter BIOS by pressing the del key , goto Q-Flash, click on update BIOS, intact and follow instructions
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRm9O1IadEo
Im pretty sure its up to date, I bought the pc less than 2 months ago and the latest bios is from january. You were correct about the 2666mhz though. Using a 3200mhz on this mobo for a couple of months could create any problems?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I agree with mdd1963, single channel ram isn't helping. The cpu will be able to do more if you had dual channel. Negative side to getting more ram is you'll need to choose between a kit of 2x 8gb for compatibility assurance or chance it with another 8gb stick playing nice with your existing memory stick.

Winaero can also help temporarily disabling unnecessary processes freeing up cpu resources.
Link removed by Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 19, 2019
I agree with mdd1963, single channel ram isn't helping. The cpu will be able to do more if you had dual channel. Negative side to getting more ram is you'll need to choose between a kit of 2x 8gb for compatibility assurance or chance it with another 8gb stick playing nice with your existing memory stick.

Winaero can also help temporarily disabling unnecessary processes freeing up cpu resources.
Ty for the answer! Money is not a problem for my next build. I will be buying this week 2*8gb ram 3200mhz a fast ssd and the i7 9700k, I will sell my old stick to a friend. Do you think I can install this Cpu on the h310m m.2 mobo just until I get my next mobo??

Last edited by a moderator:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
9700k is compatible just be sure to have the bios updated to the latest version before swapping the cpu.

I removed a link from a post above because it was the subject of a report. Naming a useful programme is one thing but linking to it is bordering on Spam in some folks' minds so my action was taken to satisfy everyone - I hope.

Oh really? Sorry for the inconvenience to whom ive offended.

Thanks anyway Saga Lout

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-bios-version-windows

use msinfo32 to check what version you have and post it here

Fortnite is a very odd game indeed which is badly optimized. At the moment it uses UP to 4 cores at maximum and another 2 cores (mediocre) and latter only if you use multithread rendering option in fortnite settings. Its one of the only games where ram speed gives huge fps boosts ( since its badly optimized )

We need your exact motherboard model to recommend anything, you could also be hitting your 8GB ram limit (check this by opening task manager and checking ram usage mid game in different parts)

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
If your playing 1080p with competitive low graphic settings your gpu will not be that much utilized and you might be fine with 1080ti paired with i9-9900k (this is ONLY for fortnite)
In fortnite only thing that matters for cpu is single core performance and if your not overclocking i9-9900k has the best one.

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
Also ram speed supported by motherboard dont really matter i always been running over the "limit" but obviously you cant get 4200mhz with board that supports 2666mhz but you CAN get 3200mhz

EDIT: im blind didnt see motherboard in your specs will check things out

EDIT2: what is you case? this is important to know what gpu even fits inside of it. Also you have 1 tb HDD, is the HDD a typo ? you should get a SSD if its not

Jun 19, 2019
Also ram speed supported by motherboard dont really matter i always been running over the "limit" but obviously you cant get 4200mhz with board that supports 2666mhz but you CAN get 3200mhz

EDIT: im blind didnt see motherboard in your specs will check things out

EDIT2: what is you case? this is important to know what gpu even fits inside of it. Also you have 1 tb HDD, is the HDD a typo ? you should get a SSD if its not
My fps is set to unlimited. 1tb hdd no ssd. My previous reply I talked about purchasing new parts until I have a new pc. My case is Aerocool aero-500 white mid tower. I would like to stop or reduce my stutter in-game and like to know what might be the cause.

sounds like it's not working as expected if cpu is high when you're not doing anything substantial. you always want to run ram in a multiple of it's channel which is two on all the LGA 1151 boards. download hardware monitor and check some temps. if you have no extra programs running besides windows stuff you should have 45C or so and 0-3% cpu use.

According to gpucheck you should get 150fps+ low 1080p in fortnight. I doubt you will get this using single channel memory though.

Solution