I5 8400 safe Temps?

davisonbrah

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Just installed my new i5 8400 and it seems to be running hot while gaming. Destiny 2 after 30 mins I hit 79 degrees. Thought maybe it didn't seat properly so I removed and put better Thermal paste on and it cooled down a little but not much, 30 mins after reseating I hit 75 degrees.

I don't know if this is cause for concern or normal as I can't find much info on Temps while gaming with stock cooler but even 76 degrees seems a little high being my old cpu never broke 62 degrees overclocked.

Anyone with this cpu and stock cooler have any input?

75-80C would be expected under moderate load with Intel's cooler....

Under very heavy CPU load (Prime95, blender, etc.,) , they are reported to run right at the throttle point of 100C with the factory cooler, which is somewhat inadequate for a very heavy load...

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015

That's good news for me, even if I live in Thailand, the temp runs at about 35 on idle and the max I have seen is 65 on full load, is it because I may have a good chip or MOBO?

It runs about 35-45 on average

INtel's Extreme Tuning Utility has an included CPU stress test, which induces a load about equal to Prime95/small FFTs, causing about 74C on my 7700K...(25C ambients, add 3C if your ambients are 3C higher, etc...)

Most gaming loads would be about 10C lower...

I'd expect 90C on a 8400 with factory cooler based on what I've read, so if you get lower, you got lucky! (IMO)

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015

I just bought a case fan, just for fun, will put it on the back of the case, I have no graphic card, no gamming.

Should I pull the air in or push it out?