Question I5 8400 vs i5 9400f

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
yo. recently i was supposed to get my 8400 but apparently the seller made a mistake and sent me an 7700 so i gave it back snd before i order it again i saw i5 9400f available at the same price as the 8400. So i was wondering if the 9400 could be a better option due to the 300mhz i think?! Higher frequency?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's 100MHz difference between them, not much and you lose igpu with 9400f and won't be able to troubleshoot if have gpu problems.

Be careful because f series would most likely need a bios update depending if the motherboard is from old stock. It is difficult to know if new stock has the updated bios to run these cpus out of the box. Goes for all 300 series motherboards.

slavi_asenov2002

Honorable
Apr 11, 2018
It just depends...IGpu in i5 8400 helps a lot in some rendering stuff and as they said you can easily troubleshoot if there is something wrong with the video output of the GPU. I would personally go for the i5 8400, even if it is 20-30 euros more expensive, otherwise I will go for the i5 9400f.

Reactions: Kamal007v
What if the gpu fails to display? Could it be the gpu?, video cable? or something else? Igpu allows an avenue for troubleshooting.
If this would ever happen then for 40€ you can buy yourself a new dGPU,used old ones are much cheaper still (I have a few old ones lying around in drawers) .
The iGPU is great if you need to drive more monitors but for anything else your dGPU is all you need.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
If you're gaming get the 9400F, if you're not gaming and don't have a graphics card, get the 8400, the answer here is simple. I have had graphics cards fail on my system without an integrated GPU, and when they did I replaced the GPU or waited for an RMA. Sometimes GPUs will slowly fail, even allowing you to have enough time to use your computer to order one online.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts