i5-8500 performance with stock cooler

apelsinimahl

Reputable
Jun 11, 2017
Hello i build a pc with i5-8500 and i am going to build it for games, i am gonna play cs:go,pubg,league of legends mostly. And question is that would the fps be same with stock cooler than with any cooler that is bought for extra like (evo 212) or something. If it is enough then i will not raise money for that extra cooler, i can do it in the future if i want also? and if i would have more fps with cooler then what would be good cooler? what do you think about evo 212 or this one https://www.arvutitark.ee/est/tootekataloog/0/Raijintek-Leto-CPU-Cooler-Black-RGB-LED-120mm-327164 .i would only buy extra cooler if it gives me more fps

Solution
I don't think you should get an aftermarket cooler. You have a non overclockable part, and I don't think either of those games will tax it enough to warrant a better cooler (unless your case has really poor airflow). Also, temperature doesn't directly affect FPS. The FPS of a game based on the CPU will be the same from 25c to 80c and up to the max rated temperature, then it will throttle the core speed and voltage to avoid damage if temps go above max temp (TJMAX). Most stock coolers on non K sku CPUs for Intel will be fine, they are just not the quietest coolers.

robax91

Distinguished
I don't think you should get an aftermarket cooler. You have a non overclockable part, and I don't think either of those games will tax it enough to warrant a better cooler (unless your case has really poor airflow). Also, temperature doesn't directly affect FPS. The FPS of a game based on the CPU will be the same from 25c to 80c and up to the max rated temperature, then it will throttle the core speed and voltage to avoid damage if temps go above max temp (TJMAX). Most stock coolers on non K sku CPUs for Intel will be fine, they are just not the quietest coolers.

Solution

honkuimushi

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
With a locked CPU you won't see better frames with a better cooler. If you were using Precision Boost on a Ryzen(especially the X versions) or the motherboard's special boost with Z series motherboards and K series CPUs it would matter. So as long as you stay below the temperature where it throttles, you shouldn't notice a difference in frame rate. The stock cooler should be fine for a 8500, though the temperatures and noise will likely be greater than with a better cooler.

TRENDING THREADS