Mar 21, 2019
Hello everyone,
Its been around 5 months and i build my first pc, i got i5 8500 with h310m-k ( i know not the best mobo but that all i could affort at the time, im planing to change it), i was checking my cpu temp and they all look fine for example my idle is around 33-35 c but when i start playing games such as black ops 4 and i check my cpu temp on hwmonitor, the value at that time is around 70-75 but my max temp is above 80 sometimes 90. I have no stutter or problem while gaming and i just dont undrestand why my max temp are this high. I have done cpu test and the scores were normal and temp in normal range. I even used realtemp with the alarm that when temps goes higher than 85 it will alarm me and as soon as i hear the sound and i go to check the temps, everything is normal. Could there be a problem with the sensor?
Also i ran prime95 and i got no errors with temprutures maxing at around 80c.

Hugo Bryan

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
90C is too hot for a 8500, i guess the pc turns off at 100C for safety reasons
In my point of view it could be two things
Cooling
or
thermal paste

What cpu cooler do you have? have you checked at what speed the cpu fan is running while on load? what type of case are you using?
Have you ever applied thermal paste? have you done it correctly ?

Reactions: Lil_baklava
Mar 21, 2019
I never had any problems with it. I think what is happening is that for a moment my temps are jumping to 85, 90 becaue every second the temps are normal but as soon as i get back to play games and i go back to check the temps again after less than 5 min the max is 90 but the current one is 70 max. How is that possible ? My case have 3 x 120 mm fans as intake and one for exhaust. I think i applied the thermal paste currectly but i will open up the case and do it again just to be safe.
Is it possible for the temps to jump just for a moment ( less than a second) to higher temp for example from 70 to 91 and then right back down?

Last edited:

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
I never had any problems with it. I think what is happening is that for a moment my temps are jumping to 85, 90 becaue every second the temps are normal but as soon as i get back to play games and i go back to check the temps again after less than 5 min the max is 90 but the current one is 70 max. How is that possible ? My case have 3 x 120 mm fans as intake and one for exhaust. I think i applied the thermal paste currectly but i will open up the case and do it again just to be safe.
Is it possible for the temps to jump just for a moment ( less than a second) to higher temp for example from 70 to 91 and then right back down?
what is your ambient room temps?

If you are using the stock heat sink, then you will have higher temperatures. Temperature spikes would be normal.

If you are looking for better temperatures, get an aftermarket heatsink. It will help.

Just remember, when applying the thermal interface material, you only need enough to cover, not any for thickness.

Reactions: Lil_baklava
Mar 21, 2019
The cooler is deepcool ice edge mini fs ( thats all i could find in georgia ). I will just change the thermal paste and check the temps, yet again the high temps are momentarily for less than a second, i never had my cpu going higher than 80.

Mar 21, 2019
I did the prime95 ( cpu only test ) test after i changed my thermal paste, the temps were about 78-79 even though at the begining they hit 90 for one secound then temp of every core droped to 78, max 82. Are there numbers normal? Should i change my cooler ? Im thinking of getting gammaxx 400 or masterair pro 4? Any recomendations ?

My clock speed was around 3.21, does this mean my cpu is thermal throttling?

Last edited:
SInce the 8400 was often known to throttle under heavy load, I can't imagine the 8500 being any better, with it's 100-200 MHz higher clock speed...

Do not worry about the instantaneous overshoot peaks (.1 second blip to 90C) if sustained temps are near 80-85, that would be 'normal' for a factory cooler, but, still warmer than most like to see...

Depending on how much room your case has for cooler clearance will determine what you can get away with. (Mugen and Noctua each have an array of options)

Mar 21, 2019
SInce the 8400 was often known to throttle under heavy load, I can't imagine the 8500 being any better, with it's 100-200 MHz higher clock speed...

Do not worry about the instantaneous overshoot peaks (.1 second blip to 90C) if sustained temps are near 80-85, that would be 'normal' for a factory cooler, but, still warmer than most like to see...

Depending on how much room your case has for cooler clearance will determine what you can get away with. (Mugen and Noctua each have an array of options)
I checked the clearance and its all good till 160 mm, i will go for masterair pro 4 as its very hard to find the other brands except deepcool or coolermaster.