[SOLVED] i5 8500 with 750ti??

Solution
You will eventually get a GPU capable of 1080P gaming with newer games; when that happens you don't want to then wish you had a CPU capable of providing adequate frame rates...

The i5-8500 has 6 cores/6 threads, and although many are not happy with but 6 threads, the minimum framerates in non-streaming gaming scenarios seem adequate, but, I'd still try for a 9700K on sale if possible...; it's 8c/8t design seems more than adequate.
You will eventually get a GPU capable of 1080P gaming with newer games; when that happens you don't want to then wish you had a CPU capable of providing adequate frame rates...

The i5-8500 has 6 cores/6 threads, and although many are not happy with but 6 threads, the minimum framerates in non-streaming gaming scenarios seem adequate, but, I'd still try for a 9700K on sale if possible...; it's 8c/8t design seems more than adequate.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Microcenter keeps baiting me to drive over there and get a 9700k. I want to hack it into my Z270 board, just to see if I can. I know it has been done, but I'm a little worried there are differences between the early 9700k and the ones made toward the end of production.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
(The 9700K is NOT going to work on any Z270...; only 'hack' stories I've heard of to date were getting an i3-8100 to work, which were but updated 7600K models anyway)

Various forum posts and entire programs written to modify the BIOS would disagree with you. That was certainly the very early news of taking a quad core and putting into an older board designed for quad cores. This all goes back to how Intel was using earlier chipsets to test the new silicon in the first place, it was always possible. Intel just didn't want to confuse the market by guaranteeing new chips would work on old boards with new power requirements. For the lesser boards it would have been too much, but for high end boards, it wasn't a problem.

It does entail taping off some pins on the CPUs.

https://www.win-raid.com/t3987f16-TOOL-Easy-automated-Mod-tool-for-Coffee-Lake-bios.html

Further, der8aurer as I recall, also tested taping off power pins on the CPUs until it couldn't operate. He really didn't find that point, each pin is capable of a surprising amount of power. All to prove that Intel's excuse for not making all the LGA1151 sockets cross compatible was basically false.

Reactions: SamirD