Question i5 8600 + rtx 2080 bottleneck ?

name68

Prominent
Jun 20, 2019
Hello,
Will my i5 8600 non-K paired with gtx 1080 ti/ or rtx 2080 work well? 1440p 144hz monitor
Or would it bottleneck ? Thx

WildCard999

Titan
You are right i think it calculated the percentage at 1080p not 1440p but it's not useless like you said.
Without the resolution it is kind of useless though. At 720P it could potentially be a substantial bottleneck (depending on game as well) but at 4K it could work perfectly balanced. Without these kinds of details it's very misleading to new builders who think they need to spend a lot more on a GPU then they really need to.

Gaming wise a good rule of thumb is to spend double what you spent on the CPU on the GPU.

Bottleneck calculators are junk science.
Here is one test for you if you are looking at a stronger graphics card:

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
There is nothing wrong with combining that GPU and CPU.

Some games may peg the CPU. Others might peg the GPU if trying to run a full 144fps on 1440p.

The only way to know for sure, if any game appears to be giving you trouble, is to run HWInfo and graph the usage (CPU, GPU, RAM, disk use, temperatures) over time while playing the game.

If anything pegs at maximum for any significant amount of time, then that's where you have a weak link.

6c/6t still does pretty well, albeit one will likely see high cpu usage (expect 100%) in pretty much all games, but, that in itself is common, especially with a very fast GPU...

In gaming comparisons, the 8600K usually outperforms the 7700K, but, if a potential streamer, I'd look at a CPU with more cores and threads...

(If you already have the CPU, you can certainly get the best GPU you can afford, and, carry it with you to the next system when you feel your are too cpu limited...)