[SOLVED] i5 8600 upgrade to ryzen 3600

name68

Prominent
Jun 20, 2019
Hello, I am thinking about upgrading my cpu which is i5 8600 (non-K version) to ryzen 3600 (x) or i5 9600K is it worth it ? Or should I upgrade some time in the future when there will be bigger performance gap? It would also mean a new mobo I edit photos and play on 1440p 144hz monitor, no streaming etc. Gpu would be rtx 2070 super, rtx 2080 or rtx 2080ti. Thank you

Solution
This is only if you really do want to make a change. Mini ITX, that you travel with a lot, I would probably be more inclined to say the R5 3600, now, over a 9700k, as the power usage/temps would be better. Plus given how the cooler assembles, you do not have to worry about it coming off too easily, during travel.

The 9700k can be quite power hungry, in comparison. I didn't think about the 9700k's lack of a cooler, earlier, either. If you are using the stock cooler, from your i5, it won't be enough to handle an i7, so that would be an additional expense. It isn't even really adequate for what you have now, imo. You might also need new ram too, as Ryzen should be paired with faster ram.

The 3600 would hold up longer, due to...

name68

Prominent
Jun 20, 2019
thank you for the answer, mobo is : ASUS PRIME H310I-PLUS (it mini itx as I travel a lot). After bios upgrade it should support 9700K, but not overcloking

logainofhades

Titan
This is only if you really do want to make a change. Mini ITX, that you travel with a lot, I would probably be more inclined to say the R5 3600, now, over a 9700k, as the power usage/temps would be better. Plus given how the cooler assembles, you do not have to worry about it coming off too easily, during travel.

The 9700k can be quite power hungry, in comparison. I didn't think about the 9700k's lack of a cooler, earlier, either. If you are using the stock cooler, from your i5, it won't be enough to handle an i7, so that would be an additional expense. It isn't even really adequate for what you have now, imo. You might also need new ram too, as Ryzen should be paired with faster ram.

The 3600 would hold up longer, due to more threads, and will probably have far more consistent performance, than the i5 you have now. Frametime variance can be an issue with i5's, in newer titles. Honestly, though, I would not go below an R7 3700x, for a rebuild such as this, as it will have even more staying power, long term.

Personally I would go ahead and get your graphics card, first, and see how the performance is. If you are happy with it, I would wait on the CPU.

Solution
I would just stick with what you have for now. At 1440p, your graphics card is likely to limit performance more than anything. You likely wouldn't notice any performance difference in nearly all of today's games from a processor upgrade, as the 8600 continues to be a very capable processor. Putting that money toward graphics hardware would undoubtedly be much more beneficial to gaming performance.