[SOLVED] i5-8600k 5ghz OC vs i9-9900k 5ghz OC looking for input /benchmarks

Aug 21, 2019
Hi all,

I'm hesitating to sell my i5-8600k and get the i9. its certainly not cheap (500euro) and i'm seeing mixed results from benchmarks i see online.

Currently i have the i5-8600k running @5ghz and i would do the same with the i9.
I know many games would see much of a performance jump and yet several ones where it might.
i'm also thinking future wise, i don't think we will see any new intel cpu's on the socket 1151 so i9 is the big boy on the block, but is it worth it? and i might want to save up and get a 2080ti after a few month's instead.
ideal would be that i can test the cpu for a week ofcourse :D
has anyone done the upgrade? or what are your thoughts?

i5-8600k @5ghz
3600mhz RAM
M.2 evo 960
1080TI

Solution
It's only an upgrade if you get noticeably more out of it, and that's the crux. You are gaming at 144Hz, is the current cpu capable of getting there or close enough not to matter? If not, the i9 9900k will. In just about any game available. If it does, then whether you get 150fps now or 200fps with the i9 doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

Ppl can talk all day about performance, or which is better, or has more cores or threads, but at the end of the day, the monitor is the final arbitrator. If you can't tell the difference, it's not worth the price.

But I will say this, when it comes to mmorpg, and other multi-player games, the i5 will suffer. I play Starwars the Old Republic on an i7-3770K. Single player to 8man op's, no worries...
Also agree and for pure gaming there is a tiny difference between the 9700k and 9900k.

It’s also worth researching your motherboard with the 9900k. While all Z370 & Z390 boards technically support it you need a board with high end VRM’s to run it properly. It also needs a high end cooler.

Aug 21, 2019
I have a maximus x code motherboard and nzxt x62 kraken cooling, on that side i'm good, the onyl true upgrade for my 1080ti is a 2080ti and that's 1300euro.. in games like assassins creed odyssey an overclocked i9 would give a significant bump in fps to the i5-8600k but bu how much exactly i don't know. but i guess its best to wait more.

What resolution are you gaming at? Below is a review from techpowerup and it shows the performance of both the 9900k and the 8600k. At 4k in ACO there was less than .5 fps difference between the CPUs. At 1440p there was less than 1 fps difference between the two CPUs.

Even on the average of the games tested, there was less than a 1% difference in fps between the 8600k and the 9900k at 1440p and 4k. When you move up in resolution the bottleneck moves from the CPU to the GPU.

In the test below were conducted with a 2080ti, so the comparisons will be very similar to what you would see.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/17.html

If you are not gaming at 4k or 1440p, there is not reason to spend 1300 on a 2080ti as the 1080ti will get very good framerates at 1080p.

Reactions: Kingcholera

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi all,

I'm hesitating to sell my i5-8600k and get the i9. its certainly not cheap (500euro) and i'm seeing mixed results from benchmarks i see online.

Whether an upgrade is worth it or not, the i9-9900k is a complete waste of money.

In the US it exceeds the price of the i7-9700k by about $130, or, in Germany, about €110 more.

They both have the same 3.6GHz base clock. Boost clocks are only 100MHz higher for the i9.

You would be spending a lot of extra money for bragging rights, with no noticeable performance gain.

Aug 21, 2019
What resolution are you gaming at? Below is a review from techpowerup and it shows the performance of both the 9900k and the 8600k. At 4k in ACO there was less than .5 fps difference between the CPUs. At 1440p there was less than 1 fps difference between the two CPUs.

Even on the average of the games tested, there was less than a 1% difference in fps between the 8600k and the 9900k at 1440p and 4k. When you move up in resolution the bottleneck moves from the CPU to the GPU.

In the test below were conducted with a 2080ti, so the comparisons will be very similar to what you would see.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/17.html

If you are not gaming at 4k or 1440p, there is not reason to spend 1300 on a 2080ti as the 1080ti will get very good framerates at 1080p.
I game at 1440p 144hz, but you make a good point of bottleneck going to the gpu. also great thread you've posted i hadn't seen that one, that puts me off from buying the i9 :)

Aug 21, 2019
Whether an upgrade is worth it or not, the i9-9900k is a complete waste of money.

In the US it exceeds the price of the i7-9700k by about $130, or, in Germany, about €110 more.

They both have the same 3.6GHz base clock. Boost clocks are only 100MHz higher for the i9.

You would be spending a lot of extra money for bragging rights, with no noticeable performance gain.
There is more of a difference that that base clock. the i7 is 8core 8 threads the i9 8 core 16threads. and as i mentioned i would overclock to 5ghz so base clock doesn't have an impact in my case but number of cores and threads does. my i5-8600k 6core 6 thread

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
There is more of a difference that that base clock. the i7 is 8core 8 threads the i9 8 core 16threads. and as i mentioned i would overclock to 5ghz so base clock doesn't have an impact in my case but number of cores and threads does. my i5-8600k 6core 6 thread

Another poster also mentioned this, but the extra threads don't help in gaming - as games aren't using that many threads at this point.

Even the 6 threads of the 8600k are good. Now, if you're planning on streaming while gaming, or doing other things that specifically benefit from more cores/threads, then that's a different story.

Sep 4, 2019
I would have to agree with everyone so far as well. I have an 8600k that I had overclocked to 5ghz and just recently swapped it out for a 9900k only because I got mine brand new in the box for 320$ So I just couldn't pass it up. In case games end up using more than six threads or in case i end up needing it for other work loads. But as of yet I haven't noticed a change whatsoever and i am gaming on a 1440p Predator with a 1080ti hybrid. I alomst wish I would have saved the money to be honest because the biggest thing i get with this 9900k is bragging rights and yes I brag about it all the time. I only paid 100 for the 8600k and bragged about that too LOL

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's only an upgrade if you get noticeably more out of it, and that's the crux. You are gaming at 144Hz, is the current cpu capable of getting there or close enough not to matter? If not, the i9 9900k will. In just about any game available. If it does, then whether you get 150fps now or 200fps with the i9 doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

Ppl can talk all day about performance, or which is better, or has more cores or threads, but at the end of the day, the monitor is the final arbitrator. If you can't tell the difference, it's not worth the price.

But I will say this, when it comes to mmorpg, and other multi-player games, the i5 will suffer. I play Starwars the Old Republic on an i7-3770K. Single player to 8man op's, no worries. 16man and things like names, fly text, bloom etc need to go or I'm bogging. 24man world boss, I'm down to 20-30fps, and full low settings or the lag is so terrible its unplayable. Cpu sees 70%+ across all 8 threads.

What you play is just as much a determining factor as anything else. If all you play is low thread single player strategy or shooters, the i9 is not going to help. If you mostly do massive multi-player, the i9 will help. How much help depending on the game.

Want to get in on the new Starwars coming? Recommended is i7-6700k and 32Gb of ram. Games are changing, thread count is far more important than it used to be, and tomorrows games are only going to get more brutal.

Solution
Sep 4, 2019
Absolutely. These next 2-3 years we will see games using more core/threads. I upgraded for two reason. One is that I would have needed to well before 5 years from now without a doubt and now I'm confident that I won't have to for 5 years. And the second reason is I got a 9900k brand new for 320$. That makes it worth it. 500$ no, but for 320 there's no argument, it's a worthy upgrade and I should be able to quick sell this 8600k for 125$ And make it a 195$ upgrade. I don't regret it a bit because although I love building pc's and know I will build another one in 2 years, I don't have to for 5.