Question i5 8600k 5ghz weird temperatures under load!

Mar 20, 2018
Hello,
I own a i5 8600k which i overclocked to 5 ghz using 1.360 vcore. I am cooling it with this liquid cooler: http://
and always when i play games with high cpu usage (battlefield 1) i get very weird temperatures. So i made the stress test using Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility for 20 minutes and my results were like this:https://imageshack.com/a/img922/9277/EZJERc.jpg (msi afterburner monitoring shows the same result in game)
I already opened the cooler if something was broken or if i had to put some more liquid in, but everything was working ok. the pump is in the cpu fan slot. In my BIOS it is saying that the pump is working at 3000-3400 rpm. i really dont know what to do. should i buy a new cpu cooler or what? please respond and help me fix this issue. Thank you!

Your temps look about right for a 8600K overclocked to 5GHz at 1.360v....

The issue here is that the cooler you are using is not the best and at 5GHz the 8600K will run hot especially at that vcore. Two things you can do, one is play around a bit more in the BIOS to reduce that vcore as you should be able to get a stable 5GHz vcore at 1.3v to 1.325v, second a better CPU cooler will also help in dropping temps. A good 240mm or even better a 280mm/360mm AIO will do a much better job on the 8600K.

Finally to really drop temps, a delid is required. I decided to delid my 8700K which was terrifying but turned out to be much easier than I thought. I now have dropped around 18 degrees with my delid using Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal. Worth a thought if you want to run 5GHz 24/7 use...But a good AIO will definitely make a difference.

That's a high overclock for a small cooler. Those temps are perfectly normal. I would try to find your maximum frequency for around 1.3v and stick with that. Otherwise if you really want to lower your temps you would have to pop the IHS off of your CPU and replace the stock TIM that Intel uses between the die and the IHS. Delidding the CPU and replacing the TIM with liquid metal TIM will allow you to hit 5GHz at much better temps. It's a serious process and you could damage your chip if you're not careful. To make it easier, manufacturers make a delidding tool for around $30, the Coollabratory Liquid Pro or Ultra is around $15. Or just dial your clock back a little and be done with it. Even if you spend $150 on a better cooler it's still going to get hot at 1.36v.

Mar 20, 2018
But i still dont get it because the temperature graph is so weird. I was not expecting the temperature spikes. Like one second is on the 75c and next second is on the 85c and that again drops to the 75c range.

Yeah, that's normal for an Intel CPU with stock TIM. It does a poor job at transferring the heat. The temp fluctuates under load, I didn't modify mine and it's all over the place. But I've modified my chips in the past and it's more stable, not to mention about 15C+ cooler on average.

Mar 20, 2018
What cooler should i buy so that temperatures will be ok and if i wanna upgrade in my future? And what is the highest temperature you would use on your cpu or on mine? Because i am not feeling well that my cpu is over 80c. Should i be worried?

100C is the max. You might get a handful of degrees lower with a better cooler but I'm not sure that it's worth the $100+. I would look into delidding. It's much easier and safer these days using tools. Google it, there's guides out there to walk you through the entire process.

Veasen_1

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
This happened to me too. I oc my 8600k to 5.0 to play bfa. My temp went to the 80's and 90's. I was getting 154fps on 1080p med 1070 gtx but I was thinking man thats to hot(using evo 212). I wanted to upgrade to a noctua d15, but I decided to revert my cpu back to stock and test it again.. I was getting 154 fps and my temps were under 70 degrees. So I guess oc isn't necessary for gaming except for bragging rights unless you have a higher resolution monitor and need the extra frames.