i5-8600k air cooling solution for mild overclocking?

patrykbuczynski

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Hello all,

I would like to overclock my i5-8600k on Z370-E Gaming to 4.5-4.6Ghz (but probably 4.5Ghz all cores). I already did some testing and I am stable at 1.25-1.27v with VID voltage hovering around 1.3-1.35v at peak stress. But temps would go as high as mid-high 80s with my old shitty Cooler Master (don't even remember the model but it's about 5 or more years old and looks very similar to 212). I do not want water cooling - the pros and cons got me to stay with air plus I don't think I have space for big water cooling anyway since smaller versions won't do and will be louder than air coolers.

My case is AZZA XT-1. Asus Z370-E Gaming with 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133 in slots a2 and b2.

I am baffled as to what air cooling to get to keep the temps of 8600k no more than low-mid 70s in p95 so I don't have to worry about it during gaming. Since I am little worried about space I was looking at Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi (mostly for rgb looks), H5 Universal, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3.
My budget would be up to $75-ish.
OR
I can chip in few more bucks if you guys can tell me whether I can fit Dark Pro 3, R1 or other huge cooler with no problem of RAM clearance.

I know Noctuas are great but they hurt my eyes with their poopy colors. I would like to keep my black-red build as close to theme as possible.

I am looking for some advice for coolers and answer if I can achieve 4.5-4.6Ghz at acceptable temps with mentioned coolers or do I have to look at something else?

I appreciate the help! :)

patrykbuczynski

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Just ordered H7 Quad Lumi. After watching some performance videos it looks that it will fit the bill especially with my case airflow for my needs. Also one of the reasons are seemingly exceptional rgb features. Although if that's not gonna do in longer run for me, H5 or Dark Rock will definitely be a buy. So for now I'm gonna have hands on pretty good performance comparison leverage.
Thank you for your help and input guys :)

I will get back with results once I'll set everything up and running. Also waiting for replacement fans from stock to Corsair SP120s and 140s quiet edition. So after that I'll do some testing.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
I have the QUAD LUMI on my Asrock Z370 Extreme 4:
Dyg1yDU.jpg

patrykbuczynski

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
So I am back with report.

After installing H7 Quad Lumi I have to say results are better than I expected. From max temp of 89c under 100% stress in p95 with old cooler I went to max temp 70c running the same test for much longer with the H7. So far all at stock speeds.

This Lumi is very nice, the RGB effect is pretty. I think quality-wise it's better looking than Asus Aura colors (where for some reason I get light purple instead of white on my 1070). Althout I think in some time in the future I will replace H7's fan with some Corsair's RGB or go black because white looks nice but illuminates my GPU too bright making it's red ROG logo faded. Other than that I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I also invested in new PSU which was Seasonic Focus Plus 750W 80 Gold.

TRENDING THREADS