[SOLVED] I5 8600k at 100 degrees Celsius

SnykyMoo2

Reputable
Feb 23, 2019
I just got an i5 8600k and I am using the stock Intel cooler from non-k series cpus. My new cooler (Cryorig H7) Is arriving in a week. Is it ok to play games at 100 degrees till then and will this cause any damage? I'm also looking to use the Intel Turbo Boost with the new cooler

Solution
I'd not play with it locked at 100C.....might not 'damage it', but, you'll not be doing it any favors for longevity, either...

Odds are, you are using a cooler likely designed for a 65 watt CPU, which is why it is inadequate even at gaming loads...

You could jump into your BIOS , set the multiplier manually to something lower than the stock 46 max....try 40-42 or so.....and perhaps the BIOS would then not apply as high a core voltage if max clock speed is 500-600 MHz lower than max.....
I'd not play with it locked at 100C.....might not 'damage it', but, you'll not be doing it any favors for longevity, either...

Odds are, you are using a cooler likely designed for a 65 watt CPU, which is why it is inadequate even at gaming loads...

You could jump into your BIOS , set the multiplier manually to something lower than the stock 46 max....try 40-42 or so.....and perhaps the BIOS would then not apply as high a core voltage if max clock speed is 500-600 MHz lower than max.....

Solution