I5 8600k cpu gets to 100C easily, but doesn't go over 100C

Jul 10, 2013
When I stress test (prime95/ITB) the cpu goes to 100c super quick, but I don't get any performance hit, it stays at it's max speed. In fact I can still do stuff while running the test. I have used Corsair link, core temp, cam and HW to monitor my temps and I get same results. I've checked the voltage that goes to the CPU and it doesn't go above 1.2v. I even overclocked to to 4.6ghz and no shutoff. Is this a miracle or a curse?

Things I've done to try to get the temperatures down
1. Changed cooler 3 times (h100 i V2 , hyper t4, h60)
2. Diagnosed Processor (fine)
3. Updated Bios

Solution
100degC means the cooling is insufficient. Intel recommends max 80degC for sustained usage.

Do you mean you reinstalled the SAME cooler three times or used three different coolers?

Either way it's the cooler or your setup of the cooler that is the problem. The CPU temp is largely proportional to its voltage and load so 1.2V at 100% usage should be very similar heat output to a different system regardless of motherboard.

100degC is the throttle point which is why you don't go over... it seems odd that you would be at 100% usage at exactly the throttle point. Rather a coincidence but that may be so.

Diagnostics doesn't relate to temperature. You'd be getting crashes, BSOD or other errors if the CPU was bad.

Summary:
It's absolutely...
100degC means the cooling is insufficient. Intel recommends max 80degC for sustained usage.

Do you mean you reinstalled the SAME cooler three times or used three different coolers?

Either way it's the cooler or your setup of the cooler that is the problem. The CPU temp is largely proportional to its voltage and load so 1.2V at 100% usage should be very similar heat output to a different system regardless of motherboard.

100degC is the throttle point which is why you don't go over... it seems odd that you would be at 100% usage at exactly the throttle point. Rather a coincidence but that may be so.

Diagnostics doesn't relate to temperature. You'd be getting crashes, BSOD or other errors if the CPU was bad.

Summary:
It's absolutely your COOLER or setup of the cooler that's problematic. Not sure what's going on with that.

You don't specify the cooler so it's possible it's simply insufficient. I know some modern Corsair AIO's have both FAN and PUMP speed setup so if that was the case then set both to:
PERFORMANCE

If that drops the temperature below 80degC (for real-world 100% like Blender or Handbrake not P95) then simply adjust the fan and/or pump speeds accordingly to peak at 80degC for optimal noise/cooling ratio.

(A Noctua NH-D15S air cooler works great, as should a dual-fan Corsair cooler).

Solution
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3157-intel-i5-8600k-review-overclocking-vs-8700k-8400/page-3

Steve used a Kraken X62, and still managed to keep the i5-8600K at 78.4degC despite 5GHz @1.4V.

Auto (I guess default) CPU settings saw the temp way down at 47.5degC (that would mean 4.1GHz all core load for him, but for YOU it may be the motherboard is auto-applying MCE which is 4.6GHz at maybe 1.3V or whatever depending on the motherboard)

TEMPERATURE scales via a Delta so if your internal case temp was 10degC hotter (due to ambient room temp higher and less efficient case cooling) then 78degC in the same test by Steve is 88degC for you.

TRENDING THREADS