i5 8600k Heat

xxvolwarexx

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Hey y'all! I have an i5 8600k with a manual vcore of 1.19 and an "across the cores overclock" of 4.6ghz. At max load, aka, BF1 for extended periods of time, I will get the chip up to 80-83c. I know Coffee Lake can get hot, but I am slightly worried. Is this an OK set up for the long-run?

Reviewers got similar temps when using basic air coolers. Unfortunately, my case does not really allow for extreme cooling set ups (RVZ03 Silverstone case).

I am also using the Cryorig C1 cooler.

Solution
Not to worry.
The processor will throttle or shut down if it detects dangerous temperatures.
That is around 100c.
If you see peaks of 85c, that is not too bad considering the capabilities of your case.

For better cooling, concentrate on getting more airflow into the case.
One way would be to increase the airflow/rpm of your main intake fan/s.
The price you pay will be more noise.
Whatever air comes in will exit somewhere, taking generated heat with it.

It is the vcore that generates heat. If you can do 4.6 at 1.19v, that seems about right to me.

xxvolwarexx

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

Fair enough. Do you think that those temperatures are acceptable/safe in the long run? Again, its only for short periods/spikes in the most intense of games as well.

xxvolwarexx

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

What do you think would be my best option? I really like the small and ultra portable form factor of this case. However, I have little to no extra cooling options. Should I swap out the CPU fan with something that could blow more air?

Or try bringing down the voltage and clock speed?

Not to worry.
The processor will throttle or shut down if it detects dangerous temperatures.
That is around 100c.
If you see peaks of 85c, that is not too bad considering the capabilities of your case.

For better cooling, concentrate on getting more airflow into the case.
One way would be to increase the airflow/rpm of your main intake fan/s.
The price you pay will be more noise.
Whatever air comes in will exit somewhere, taking generated heat with it.

It is the vcore that generates heat. If you can do 4.6 at 1.19v, that seems about right to me.

Solution

xxvolwarexx

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

Just gave it a read-through. I also moved some cables around to give the most possible breathing room to my CPU. According to that post, I'm at the high-end of what is acceptable. If I go over that, drastic measures should be taken such as changing the case and cooler, but otherwise these temperatures shouldn't result in premature death of the chip, is that correct?

xxvolwarexx

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

That's what the majority of the PC community has been telling me. As someone who has been in the industry/hobby for at least 7-8 years and I've never seen any of my chips get that hot. I guess that's just a Coffee Lake abnormality. Reviewers seemed to actually EXCEED my temperatures in some scenarios: http://techreport.com/blog/32661/just-how-hot-is-coffee-lake
("Gigabyte's Easy Tune utility reported that the chip was running at 4.3 GHz—its normal all-core Turbo speed—at 1.1V under this synthetic load. With the MasterAir Pro 4 on top, those clocks and voltages resulted in a CPU package temperature of 78° C, according to HWiNFO64")

AND

" I tried the same manual overclock I achieved with our Corsair H115i liquid cooler: 5GHz with a -2 AVX offset and a dynamic Vcore in a range of 1.284V to 1.296V. Under the MasterAir Pro 4, running Prime95 caused the chip to throttle, while Blender caused it to run in the low 90° C range. "

zostomudvayne

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Hi there, i was starting to feel Lonely in that situation , i bought a i5 600k with a Msi z370 Gaming M5 BOARD.
And i had to switch the cpu in the store because i was getting 98º just by getting 4.6 ghz with 1.2v.
And attention i use a Corsair h115i cooler,it is a freaking 280mm radiator.

I got the second 8600k, and i am afraid uprising the core clock, because again this second sample gets spikes of 80º doing just nothing
,in the windows desktop, i really dont understant these chips now.

I had Intel K series since the second generation and now i am afraid of touching it..

Really bad.

Simon Horne

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014

Simon Horne

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
hi , just wanted to share , what i know 1 how do you know for sure your cpu is running at those temps .you see it depends what software you use and where on the cpu the temp is being read .hw monitor by cpu z reads temps from the centre of the cpu which always read hotter than motherboard temps .are those temps from the motherboard bios ? i guess they aren't .cause if you they are from motherboard then the cpu would be shutting down. case airflow get a bigger case .get one with mesh front room for fans on top and an 120 fan at rear. i have your cpu idles at 38c and goes to 57c in game .i would lower your overclock .do you really need 4.6 .im finding 4.4 fine . i use a noctua nh l 12 .its a horizontal air cooler with 2 fans .it works really well and you can overclock a bit with it not too much but enough.then thermal paste ,which do you use .this is the most most important part in keeping temps low ,and overlooked alot . if you can get justthe right anount of paste applied not to much not to little and nice and even spread this will make a huge huge differance , believe me .makes dont make much difference but MX4 is slightly better than most ,i could get lower temps by using it but am using noctua s at moment as it doesnt need to settle in you get readings from start that are the temps you will maintain .hope you have sorted out your 8600