Question i5-8600k high temperatures + bottleneck?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
Hello

Ive upgraded my pc a few months ago, and just got myself a rtx 2080
Also a new 1440p 144hz screen

When i play Assasins creed odyssey on either medium,high,very high or ultra on either 1080/1440p

My cpu temp and % load goes batshit crazy

on idle the temps are around 25-30
on load they get to around 80-85 while playing/benchmarking this game
prime it goes around 90-95 ( i usually stop it after it gets this hot )
Am i looking at a bottleneck here? is it my CPU? ive overclocked it to 4,7-5hz but still, same result

my CPU cooler is a Cooler Master hyper 212 Evo

My chassis got noctua fans at full speed, still doesnt help much

Is there something im overlooking? Do i need to change up something or is the game just that "broke" ??

View: https://imgur.com/a/RIQ5ZUT

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, you didn't even need to buy paste. The paste that comes with the NH-D15 is excellent. That would be either NT-H1 or NT-H2, which is just about one degree better than H1. From the stock pastes that come with a bottom end Cooler master or Deepcool cooler and the very best liquid metal paste, you are talking an average of about 3-5°C, at most, so it's not a giant issue either way.

But yes, the Kryonaut is very good. Probably just slightly better than the Noctua paste but not enough better that I'd have felt compelled to buy it over what comes with that cooler.