Question i5-8600k high temperatures + bottleneck?

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
Hello

Ive upgraded my pc a few months ago, and just got myself a rtx 2080
Also a new 1440p 144hz screen

When i play Assasins creed odyssey on either medium,high,very high or ultra on either 1080/1440p

My cpu temp and % load goes batshit crazy

on idle the temps are around 25-30
on load they get to around 80-85 while playing/benchmarking this game
prime it goes around 90-95 ( i usually stop it after it gets this hot )
Am i looking at a bottleneck here? is it my CPU? ive overclocked it to 4,7-5hz but still, same result

my CPU cooler is a Cooler Master hyper 212 Evo

My chassis got noctua fans at full speed, still doesnt help much

Is there something im overlooking? Do i need to change up something or is the game just that "broke" ??

View: https://imgur.com/a/RIQ5ZUT

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottlenecks don't cause temperature problems. Problems cause temperature problems.

Since I've never heard of a Hyper 121 EVO, I changed that for you to say 212 EVO. :)

There is either something wrong with the way you mounted the cooler, or used the wrong hardware from what came in the kit (Multiple sockets are supported and they all use different backplates and standoffs) or how you pasted. Usually, it's a poor mounting job problem or an issue with the center as outlined in my tutorial. Sometimes it's simply a poor mount job though and the backplate to bracket fasteners are not tight. Check everything. It will require taking it back it apart.

Do you have those same temperatures when it's not overclocked? I would return everything to the stock configuration. Clearly overclocking is not a good idea right now until you solve the temperature issues with it at the stock configuration. Your poor performance is likely from throttling.

Update the BIOS.

Go to the product page for your motherboard and update and install any relevant drivers, chipset, audio, network adapters, storage controllers.

What utility are you using to monitor temperatures with?

What version of Prime95 are you using? Have you disabled AVX in Prime before using it to test thermals?

Assasins Creed games need a lot of CPU horsepower and threads. Your 8600k only has 6, when the program can use more than 8 threads.
The Hyper 212 isn't going to get you to 5ghz likely, but it should be fine at stock.

I would take the side panel off and see if the temps go down. Then double check thermal paste.

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
Bottlenecks don't cause temperature problems. Problems cause temperature problems.

Since I've never heard of a Hyper 121 EVO, I changed that for you to say 212 EVO. :)

There is either something wrong with the way you mounted the cooler, or used the wrong hardware from what came in the kit (Multiple sockets are supported and they all use different backplates and standoffs) or how you pasted. Usually, it's a poor mounting job problem or an issue with the center as outlined in my tutorial. Sometimes it's simply a poor mount job though and the backplate to bracket fasteners are not tight. Check everything. It will require taking it back it apart.

Do you have those same temperatures when it's not overclocked? I would return everything to the stock configuration. Clearly overclocking is not a good idea right now until you solve the temperature issues with it at the stock configuration. Your poor performance is likely from throttling.

Update the BIOS.

Go to the product page for your motherboard and update and install any relevant drivers, chipset, audio, network adapters, storage controllers.

What utility are you using to monitor temperatures with?

What version of Prime95 are you using? Have you disabled AVX in Prime before using it to test thermals?

Not turned off AVX, kinda forgot all about that, but now that you mentioned it, ill have to do that

Stock setting it runs a bit cooler, the pc is dust free btw, i cleaned it all out today just to be sure that wasnt the issue

Not upgraded bios at all, ill have to try that out

prime95 v 29,8 build 3

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
Assasins Creed games need a lot of CPU horsepower and threads. Your 8600k only has 6, when the program can use more than 8 threads.
The Hyper 212 isn't going to get you to 5ghz likely, but it should be fine at stock.

I would take the side panel off and see if the temps go down. Then double check thermal paste.
Done all that, even put on new paste today
Do i maybe need to invest on a new cooler? or new cpu?

Hyper 212 is the MINIMUM cooler I'd recommend for anybody moving to an entry level aftermarket tower cooler and does not have a high TDP processor. It's fine for your CPU at the stock configuration, not great, but ok, but not for overclocking. At all.

You need a much better cooler if you want to get ANYWHERE near 5Ghz on air.

Below is my list of preferred CPU AIR coolers, also known as Heatsink fans (HSF).

Do not look here for recommendations on water/liquid cooling solutions. There are none to be found.

They are basically listed in order of preference, from top to bottom. To some degree that preference is based on known performance on similarly overclocked configurations, but not entirely. There are likely a couple of units that are placed closer to the top not because they offer purely better performance than another cooler which is below it, but potentially due to a variety of reasons.

One model might be placed higher than another with the same or similar performance, but has quieter or higher quality fans. It may have the same performance but a better warranty. Long term quality may be higher. It may be less expensive in some cases. Maybe it performs slightly worse, but has quieter fans and a better "fan pitch". Some fans with equal decibel levels do not "sound" like they are the same as the specific pitch heard from one fan might be less annoying than another.

In any case, these are not "tiered" and are not a 100% be all, end all ranking. They are simply MY preference when looking at coolers for a build or when making recommendations. Often, which HSF gets chosen depends on what is on this list and fits the budget or is priced right at the time due to a sale or rebate. Hopefully it will help you and you can rest assured that every cooler listed here is a model that to some degree or other is generally a quality unit which is a lot more likely to be worth the money spent on it than on many other models out there that might look to be a similarly worthwhile investment.

Certainly there are a great many other very good coolers out there, but these are models which are usually available to most anybody building a system or looking for a cooler, regardless of what part of the world they might live in. As always, professional reviews are usually an absolutely essential part of the process of finding a cooler so if you are looking at a model not listed here, I would highly recommend looking at at least two or three professional reviews first.

If you cannot find two reviews of any given cooler, it is likely either too new to have been reviewed yet or it sucked, and nobody wanted to buy one in order to review it plus the manufacturer refused to send samples out to the sites that perform reviews because they knew it would likely get bad publicity.

IMO, nobody out there is making better fans, overall, than Noctua, followed pretty closely by Thermalright. So if you intend to match case fans to the same brand on your HSF, those are pretty hard to beat. Of course, Corsair has it's Maglev fans, and those are pretty damn good too, but since they don't make CPU air cooling products, only AIO water coolers, they cannot join the party.

Noctua NH-D14 (Replace stock fans with NF-A14 industrialPPC 2000rpm)
Noctua NH-D15/D15 SE-AM4
Noctua NH-D14 (With original fans)
Thermalright Silver arrow IB-E Extreme
Phanteks PH-TC14PE (BK,BL, OR or RD)
Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal
Thermalright Legrand Macho RT
FSP Windale 6
Scythe Mugen 5 rev.b
Noctua NH-U14S
Thermalright Macho rev.B
Thermalright Macho (Direct, 120)
Scythe Mugen max
BeQuiet dark rock pro (3 or 4)
BeQuiet dark rock (3 or 4)
Deepcool Assassin II
Thermalright true spirit 140 (Direct, Power, BW)
Cryorig H5
Noctua NH-U12S
Phanteks PH-TC12DX (Any)
Phanteks PH-TC14S
Cryorig H7
Deepcool Gammaxx 400

Cooler Master Hyper 212 (EVO, X, RGB. I'd only recommend this cooler if no other good aftermarket models are available to you.)

It may not be obvious, but is probably worth mentioning, that not all cooler models will fit all CPU sockets as aftermarket coolers generally require an adapter intended for use with that socket. Some coolers that fit an AMD platform might not fit a later AMD platform, or an Intel platform. Often these coolers come with adapters for multiple types of platforms but be sure to verify that a specific cooler WILL work with your platform before purchasing one and finding out later that it will not.

adysmajich

Reputable
Oct 29, 2018
Hello

Ive upgraded my pc a few months ago, and just got myself a rtx 2080
Also a new 1440p 144hz screen

When i play Assasins creed odyssey on either medium,high,very high or ultra on either 1080/1440p

My cpu temp and % load goes batshit crazy

on idle the temps are around 25-30
on load they get to around 80-85 while playing/benchmarking this game
prime it goes around 90-95 ( i usually stop it after it gets this hot )
Am i looking at a bottleneck here? is it my CPU? ive overclocked it to 4,7-5hz but still, same result

my CPU cooler is a Cooler Master hyper 212 Evo

My chassis got noctua fans at full speed, still doesnt help much

Is there something im overlooking? Do i need to change up something or is the game just that "broke" ??

View: https://imgur.com/a/RIQ5ZUT

I had the same issue. AC Odyssey is very heavy on CPU (works better on Ryzen CPU's), but here is what I did to lower CPU usage and temperatures. First of all, enable hyperthreading in Windows. After that, enable Scanline sync with MSI Afterburner. Now, FPS should be locked on 72 FPS on your 144 Hz monitor and CPU usage should be around 70% and temperatures for CPU should be around 70 degrees.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Your CPU will also be getting throttled at the temperatures you are experiencing as they do this automatically to reduce heat.
Try resetting it back to its default speed as voltage rise in particular will cause excessive heat with limited cooling.

Once you have the temperature under control then think about overclocking but small increments at a time and monitor it until you are happy with performance and frame rate.

Andy

I had the same issue. AC Odyssey is very heavy on CPU (works better on Ryzen CPU's), but here is what I did to lower CPU usage and temperatures. First of all, enable hyperthreading in Windows. After that, enable Scanline sync with MSI Afterburner. Now, FPS should be locked on 72 FPS on your 144 Hz monitor and CPU usage should be around 70% and temperatures for CPU should be around 70 degrees.

Hyperthreading is NOT enabled IN Windows. It's enabled in the BIOS and SHOULD be ON by default unless you've turned it off yourself.

The rest, probably not even worth looking at closely after hearing that, because it shows a lack of understanding how any of this works to begin with.

Your CPU will also be getting throttled at the temperatures you are experiencing as they do this automatically to reduce heat.
Try resetting it back to its default speed as voltage rise in particular will cause excessive heat with limited cooling.

Once you have the temperature under control then think about overclocking but small increments at a time and monitor it until you are happy with performance and frame rate.

Andy

Nothing is getting throttled at 80-85 degrees, which are the temps they listed while gaming. It's too high, but it's not throttle temps.

an 8600K is going to be at/near 100% busy, especially with a very fast GPU; that's the new i5 'normal' with gaming today...

the 212 EVO is competent, but it is not at Noctua NH-D15 cooling abilities....

I'd try stock clocks, or at least slightly lower core voltages and then as high a clock as the stock core voltages will sustain... (my own 7700K would still hit/sustain 4.7 GHz all core turbos on default 1.262 core voltage, but, even a .05V bump higher core voltage than that raised temps noticeably/by 7C..

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016

Late reply, on vacation, but ill deffo try this one out when i get home
thanks for your reply

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
Hyper 212 is the MINIMUM cooler I'd recommend for anybody moving to an entry level aftermarket tower cooler and does not have a high TDP processor. It's fine for your CPU at the stock configuration, not great, but ok, but not for overclocking. At all.

You need a much better cooler if you want to get ANYWHERE near 5Ghz on air.

Below is my list of preferred CPU AIR coolers, also known as Heatsink fans (HSF).

Do not look here for recommendations on water/liquid cooling solutions. There are none to be found.

They are basically listed in order of preference, from top to bottom. To some degree that preference is based on known performance on similarly overclocked configurations, but not entirely. There are likely a couple of units that are placed closer to the top not because they offer purely better performance than another cooler which is below it, but potentially due to a variety of reasons.

One model might be placed higher than another with the same or similar performance, but has quieter or higher quality fans. It may have the same performance but a better warranty. Long term quality may be higher. It may be less expensive in some cases. Maybe it performs slightly worse, but has quieter fans and a better "fan pitch". Some fans with equal decibel levels do not "sound" like they are the same as the specific pitch heard from one fan might be less annoying than another.

In any case, these are not "tiered" and are not a 100% be all, end all ranking. They are simply MY preference when looking at coolers for a build or when making recommendations. Often, which HSF gets chosen depends on what is on this list and fits the budget or is priced right at the time due to a sale or rebate. Hopefully it will help you and you can rest assured that every cooler listed here is a model that to some degree or other is generally a quality unit which is a lot more likely to be worth the money spent on it than on many other models out there that might look to be a similarly worthwhile investment.

Certainly there are a great many other very good coolers out there, but these are models which are usually available to most anybody building a system or looking for a cooler, regardless of what part of the world they might live in. As always, professional reviews are usually an absolutely essential part of the process of finding a cooler so if you are looking at a model not listed here, I would highly recommend looking at at least two or three professional reviews first.

If you cannot find two reviews of any given cooler, it is likely either too new to have been reviewed yet or it sucked, and nobody wanted to buy one in order to review it plus the manufacturer refused to send samples out to the sites that perform reviews because they knew it would likely get bad publicity.

IMO, nobody out there is making better fans, overall, than Noctua, followed pretty closely by Thermalright. So if you intend to match case fans to the same brand on your HSF, those are pretty hard to beat. Of course, Corsair has it's Maglev fans, and those are pretty damn good too, but since they don't make CPU air cooling products, only AIO water coolers, they cannot join the party.

Noctua NH-D14 (Replace stock fans with NF-A14 industrialPPC 2000rpm)
Noctua NH-D15/D15 SE-AM4
Noctua NH-D14 (With original fans)
Thermalright Silver arrow IB-E Extreme
Phanteks PH-TC14PE (BK,BL, OR or RD)
Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal
Thermalright Legrand Macho RT
FSP Windale 6
Scythe Mugen 5 rev.b
Noctua NH-U14S
Thermalright Macho rev.B
Thermalright Macho (Direct, 120)
Scythe Mugen max
BeQuiet dark rock pro (3 or 4)
BeQuiet dark rock (3 or 4)
Deepcool Assassin II
Thermalright true spirit 140 (Direct, Power, BW)
Cryorig H5
Noctua NH-U12S
Phanteks PH-TC12DX (Any)
Phanteks PH-TC14S
Cryorig H7
Deepcool Gammaxx 400

Cooler Master Hyper 212 (EVO, X, RGB. I'd only recommend this cooler if no other good aftermarket models are available to you.)

It may not be obvious, but is probably worth mentioning, that not all cooler models will fit all CPU sockets as aftermarket coolers generally require an adapter intended for use with that socket. Some coolers that fit an AMD platform might not fit a later AMD platform, or an Intel platform. Often these coolers come with adapters for multiple types of platforms but be sure to verify that a specific cooler WILL work with your platform before purchasing one and finding out later that it will not.
What would you recommend? my tower is big, R2 black pearl xl ,if that tells you anything

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016

Andy
Cheeers for the tip there andy, ill have a look at this also once i get back home from my vacation

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
an 8600K is going to be at/near 100% busy, especially with a very fast GPU; that's the new i5 'normal' with gaming today...

I'd try stock clocks, or at least slightly lower core voltages and then as high a clock as the stock core voltages will sustain... (my own 7700K would still hit/sustain 4.7 GHz all core turbos on default 1.262 core voltage, but, even a .05V bump higher core voltage than that raised temps noticeably/by 7C..
i see more and more mention that cooler, if im not mistaking its a huge ass cooler,correct?
Ill get it once i can before i maybe invest in a new cpu, dont really want to but if newer games that are coming do better with an i7 than the i5, might have to get that instead, or?

7700k at 4.7Ghz with stock voltage? No way that it's stable. No way. I don't believe it. Not even with a golden sample. Sorry.

Sorry for spam
But a little update
I just ordered these 2 items
supposed to be "the best of the best"

Cpu Cooler

https://www.komplett.no/product/815...-cpu-kjoeler?noredirect=true?noredirect=true#

and this thermal paste

https://www.komplett.no/product/946...onaut-liquid?noredirect=true?noredirect=true#

Hope this is a good buy

Honestly, if you want a high overclock, that is a good setup. That paste requires VERY specific installation procedures, so make sure to watch three or four videos on installing that kind of thermal interface material BEFORE you try doing it yourself or you're going to make a horrific mess of things. Also, probably a good idea to take a look at a few tutorials on it as well. Know what you are doing BEFORE you do it, and you will have good results.

adysmajich

Reputable
Oct 29, 2018
Hyperthreading is NOT enabled IN Windows. It's enabled in the BIOS and SHOULD be ON by default unless you've turned it off yourself.

The rest, probably not even worth looking at closely after hearing that, because it shows a lack of understanding how any of this works to begin with.

I admit my mistake, thank you for correcting me, but Scanline Sync will definitely help him unburden CPU usage in AC Odyssey

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
Honestly, if you want a high overclock, that is a good setup. That paste requires VERY specific installation procedures, so make sure to watch three or four videos on installing that kind of thermal interface material BEFORE you try doing it yourself or you're going to make a horrific mess of things. Also, probably a good idea to take a look at a few tutorials on it as well. Know what you are doing BEFORE you do it, and you will have good results.

i had to remove that thermal cause it wouldnt suit with the cooler
it says DO NOT apply on aluminium, only copper cause it would damage ur cooler/cpu if you combined those 2
so i went for this one instead

https://www.komplett.no/product/946...zly-kryonaut?noredirect=true?noredirect=true#

But kept the cooler since so many are saying its the best of the best when it comes to air cooler

Hopefully i did a good choice here

That unit has a nickel plated copper base. It would have been perfectly fine with that Conductonaut LM paste.

The Kryonaut is very good paste too, and is actually what I use almost exclusively although I will also use the Noctua NT-H1, NT-H2, Cryorig Cryopaste, Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic MX-4 depending on what the build is.

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
That unit has a nickel plated copper base. It would have been perfectly fine with that Conductonaut LM paste.

The Kryonaut is very good paste too, and is actually what I use almost exclusively although I will also use the Noctua NT-H1, NT-H2, Cryorig Cryopaste, Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic MX-4 depending on what the build is.

No way? i was sure i saw that it dint have copper.... ah well, prob good not to mess around with such atm
And you sare saying that the paste i went for is good, it showed up as the 2nd best cooling paste

Hopefully this will bring down the temps when i overclock and by using the cpu cooler