I5 8600k High Temps Stock

Feb 10, 2019
Hi All,

I recently upgraded my pc with the intention of overclocking. However I've ran a couple of test for various clock speeds and and consistently seeing high temps (assuming these are considered high).

Running:
I5 8600k
MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
Nzxt x52 AIO Liquid Cooler
S340 Case
DDR4 2666 Corsair Veng

Ran Prime95 Blend Test for around 50 minutes at minimum, 3.6Ghz. Idle I'm seeing 40-45 degrees and under test this pushed to around 70/75.

Left voltages to auto and enabled Xmp.

Even at minimum clock speed, are these temps meant to be hovering in the 70s under load? I'm incrementally increasing the speed, currently testing at 4Ghz and will see what temps/values this returns. I've tried 4.5/6/7, upping the core voltage, in applications likes CineBench, Aida64, seems to be ok, but running P95 temps jump to 100+ degrees after few mins.

Any advice on what I should look at/change would be much appreciated :)

Depends on what auto voltage your motherboard uses. Typically to optimize temps you will want to set a manual voltage that will be lower than the auto voltage. This often requires testing each voltage decrease for stability until you find the lowest stable voltage.

Feb 10, 2019
@volkgren

Thanks for your reply. So for instance, as I'm currently running P95 at 4Ghz, my core voltage is sitting around 1.096v and temps maxing around 80 mark. I should look to set a manual core voltage to say 0.9 or 0.95 and run the same test?

Feb 10, 2019
Assumed under load at 3.6 it just didn't seem right to me. Makes me think if I wanted a 4.7/8 overclock what my temps would be if at 3.6 its already hitting 70 degrees :'/

True, true. But even at stock the turbo should give around 4.1GHz for an all-core boost.

Feb 10, 2019
So I ran Aida64 for ~4 Hours last night at 4.5Ghz, 1.2v and temps seem to be around ~75 Deg. During RealBench stress test, temps were consistently around 80 Deg. There is quite a large difference between temps seen on HWMonitor and Aida64, not sure which to trust at this point. HW tends to lean more towards the higher side maybe 5/7 degrees higher. Would it be possible that the x52 isn't cutting it? And I should look to change this? Or would I need to mess with my settings further?

Indivision

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
So I ran Aida64 for ~4 Hours last night at 4.5Ghz, 1.2v and temps seem to be around ~75 Deg. During RealBench stress test, temps were consistently around 80 Deg. There is quite a large difference between temps seen on HWMonitor and Aida64, not sure which to trust at this point. HW tends to lean more towards the higher side maybe 5/7 degrees higher. Would it be possible that the x52 isn't cutting it? And I should look to change this? Or would I need to mess with my settings further?
I will recommend to check few things

Do One Change by time, if you change one settings restart to see if its stable after the amendment so you know which setting might fail I will suggest first setting the ram and test, to see CPU temps, then start OC your CPU.

1st. Check the thermal paste
2nd.Make RAM boost manually, set VCCIO not more than 1v also VCCSA 1v as well, DRAM voltage 1.2, do manually timings on your ram
3rd. CPU Voltage if you said 1.2V on 4.5 try to reduce by 0.05 and see when it will go stable, and when you find the sweet spot, then increase to 4.6 without amending anything else and see if it works.
4th. Short duration voltage and long duration voltage and cpu power limit type 5555 to max them.
5th. Always leave core ratio auto its my personal experience.
6th. Switch off SVID behaviour and BCLK adaptive voltage if you have them as option
7th. Switch off Multicore enhancement if you have it as option
8th. in Bios go to advance --> graphics switch off your internal graphics
9th. Switch off speestep and speedshift, also with C-state and Virtualisation, i will recommend turning off Hyper threading as well if you are not willing to use your CPU for rendering applications. Also turning off HT will increase single core performance which I prefer in games.
10th. Calibration Load line leave it as auto until you get OC as 4.9 where you can put mode 4 and 5ghz where you can try mode 3 or more realistically 2
11th. Check in your app for NZXT if you can turn on your fan in Extreme mode or performance mode!

Many issues are caused by bad placed thermal paste or a bad paste as well, you might be able to hit 4.5 ghz with 1.15V without issues, why I am saying this is, my personal example with my 9600k was when i used XMP mode i couldn't get my CPU to 5ghz even with 1.4V because my temps were going 90-100C and I am with custom water cooling. I found that my CPU VCCIO and VCCSA were 1.4 and 1.47, which was just redicilous. I lowered them to 1.1 and 1.15 and boom 5.1ghz with 1.29V , but also you need to play with the other settings, especially i5 processors are getting really hot if you don't control the voltages manually.

I hope that will help

Last edited: