Question i5 8600k,i5 9600k,i7 8700 vs ryzen 2700x?

xnzm96

Reputable
Dec 18, 2018
Hi,i've been slowly buying parts for my first build just mobo,cpu to purchase was set on the ryzen 2700x but the i5 8600k,9600k,i7 8700 are all cheaper and seem to perform better?

the current build im looking at i have everything apart from the mobo,cpu also reusing the 1060 i have in my current pc untill i can purchase a better card

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (£281.98 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£78.26 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£95.58 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SC GAMING Video Card (£195.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£71.15 @ AWD-IT)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£90.11 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £976.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-01 17:58 BST+0100

was really set on the ryzen 2700x, b450 but i've just seen the prices of the cpu's i mentioned and it's made me change my mind some what. Would also need a new 1151 mobo,any ideas opinions from people more in the know would be appreciated. [=

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on your goal. If pure gaming, then the i5 all perform better than any of the Ryzen chips. Though at the moment your GTX1060 is probably the limiting factor.

You also need to look at total cost including motherboard. Obviously you were already planning on an aftermarket CPU cooler. But that is mandatory with the K series chips.

The reason you see so many recommendations for Ryzen platform is that the included CPU cooler is enough for stock settings, small amount of overclocking, and the motherboards can be as much as half the price as Z370/Z390 boards. That $100 difference goes directly into the GPU resulting in a higher performing gaming system. But the best combination is still an overclockable Intel chip and the fastest GPU you can afford. The difference in gaming performance between those three Intel chips is fairly marginal though. The i7-8700 would fall behind since it can't be overclocked.

xnzm96

Reputable
Dec 18, 2018
Depends on your goal. If pure gaming, then the i5 all perform better than any of the Ryzen chips. Though at the moment your GTX1060 is probably the limiting factor.

You also need to look at total cost including motherboard. Obviously you were already planning on an aftermarket CPU cooler. But that is mandatory with the K series chips.

The reason you see so many recommendations for Ryzen platform is that the included CPU cooler is enough for stock settings, small amount of overclocking, and the motherboards can be as much as half the price as Z370/Z390 boards. That $100 difference goes directly into the GPU resulting in a higher performing gaming system. But the best combination is still an overclockable Intel chip and the fastest GPU you can afford. The difference in gaming performance between those three Intel chips is fairly marginal though. The i7-8700 would fall behind since it can't be overclocked.

thanks for the reply i did notice 1151 mobo's are more costly and i don't just plan on gaming so i think i'll stick with my original build and if i can get the 2700x on sale it should work out cheaper also gives me an excuse to make an intel pc in the future i guess lol

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, 16 threads is hard to argue with if you do anything serious with a computer. I don't, so my 7700k will stick around for another year or two.

All my 'serious' work can be accomplished on much lower end hardware. Mostly just remote into other more powerful systems anyway.