i5 8600k idle temperatures high and fluctuating

0v3rl0rd

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
So I've got a new build:
ASRock Z370 Gaming K6 + Intel i5 8600K + Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi.

I haven't changed anything in the BIOS - it's stock as it could be, didn't overclock anything, stock voltage and everything.

My load temps are ~66°C which is ok, AFAIK.
My idle temps are strange though - those are around 30-35°C, and are fluctuating alot: they go high at once (around, 45-50°C) and the next second they go back down to mid 30's.

Here is the link to recording i upoloaded to youtube: LINK.

The setup is in a Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 case which is very well ventilated: 3x140mm intake fans, 1x140mm exhaust fan.

The first part of the video (until 0:37) is while IDLEing. At 0:37 I started the AIDA stability test (only CPU). After 1:00 the video shows the temps after 5 minutes of testing.

I tried reseating the cooler - no change.

Note: no dedicated GPU in he system - using integrated for now.

I'm not sure if those idle temps are ideal - especially knowing that only a few days ago, my previous build (ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 + i5 6600K + Hyper 212 Evo) inside that same ventilated case was having idle temps around 24-26°C.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Tyler Paul_1

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Listen, its nothing to worry about since your temperature isn't near the thermal max.
This is probably not an accurate reading as the higher the temperature goes the more accurate the reading.

You seriously don't have anything to worry about as long as you don't hit the thermal max for your chip you are fine!

0v3rl0rd

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

I know that it isn't near the thermal max, but is really strange that it's fluctuating so rapidly.