i5 8600k or i7 8700k for future gaming?

Apr 5, 2018
I have so far bought all the parts for my new build so they should be arriving next week but I'm extremely bothered with my choice between the i5 8600k and the i7 8700k. I chose the i5 because I'm mainly getting this build for gaming and everywhere I looked people said go with the i5 if you're only gaming. However I also saw some people say that the i7 is more future proof because of the extra threads which games might make use of in the future.

My question is, do you guys reckon, from past experience and your natural wisdom, that games will actually benefit from hyperthreading in about 3-5 years time? If yes, how big could this performance increase be? If you have no idea, just do me a favour and say I made the right decision.

The build:
CPU: i5 8600k :(
GPU: GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
Case: NZXT H440 (White/black)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK
Motherboard: Asrock Z370 Extreme4
RAM: Corsair vengeance LPX 16gb (2x8gb) (white)
PSU: Antec - TruePower Classic 750W 80+ Gold Certified

Solution
And I would add, if you understand anything about money, money not spent, i.e. money saved today, invested wisely, (even if it just simple interest) has far more future value and will be much better for future proofing in the future. If tech trends hold as it has for the foreseeable future as it has shown, future parts gets cheaper and gets more performance than what you can reasonably pay for now. There is a reason the bleeding edge is bloody expensive and hurts a lot.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018

Do you really need psychological support from some random internet comment forum? Or are you here trying to humble brag?

In 3-5 years you will probably be itching to get a new mobo and CPU anyways. There is no future proofing, that is all an illusion. In any case you want a new CPU in the 3-5 year times frame because you want the in-silicon fix for things like spectre and meltdown.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
And I would add, if you understand anything about money, money not spent, i.e. money saved today, invested wisely, (even if it just simple interest) has far more future value and will be much better for future proofing in the future. If tech trends hold as it has for the foreseeable future as it has shown, future parts gets cheaper and gets more performance than what you can reasonably pay for now. There is a reason the bleeding edge is bloody expensive and hurts a lot.

Solution
Apr 5, 2018

Lots and lots of psychological support.

Jul 16, 2018

Wow this is going to be my almost the same as my upcoming build. I bought the Fully Modular 750W Gold power supply, the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 GAMING 8GB PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI, Triple DP, and am now looking into processor / motherboard combos. How did this turn out for you? Are you happy?

Apr 5, 2018

So far I've been running all games maxed out without any problems without any overclocking done. So yes, I'm quite happy.