i5 8600k or Ryzen 2600x, need to decide fast

Yurnero

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Hello all. I'm coming to the US in a few days to spend a week and along with it upgrade my age old PC. I was decided to go for an i5 8600k to pair with my GTX 1070 but then I saw Ryzen 2 is gonna launch almost by the time I'm there.

I know there are no public tests or reviews of it but does anybody has an idea of how the 2600x is gonna perform? Do I stick with the 8600k? I mainly use my PC for gaming, sometimes in my 4k tv.
Need to decide FAST so I can preorder.

Solution
you'll have to wait until the 19th for an official review

http://hwbench.com/cpus/amd-ryzen-5-2600x-vs-intel-core-i5-8600k

however, some sites have already shown some benchmarks. With the ryzen 2600x, you get 2x the threads; however, you don't have integrated graphics. On a positive note, AMD motherboards will last another generation of CPUs until 2020 with support - leaving you with upgrade potential down the road. The Intel platform tends to change compatibility every 1 or 2 generations. If you asked for my vote, i would go for AMD due to more value. 5 fps performance difference is negligible at 1080p. At 1440p and 4k, the graphics card becomes the bottleneck and not the CPU.

Note: Every 12-24 months, new product cycles debut...

bboiprfsr

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
you'll have to wait until the 19th for an official review

http://hwbench.com/cpus/amd-ryzen-5-2600x-vs-intel-core-i5-8600k

however, some sites have already shown some benchmarks. With the ryzen 2600x, you get 2x the threads; however, you don't have integrated graphics. On a positive note, AMD motherboards will last another generation of CPUs until 2020 with support - leaving you with upgrade potential down the road. The Intel platform tends to change compatibility every 1 or 2 generations. If you asked for my vote, i would go for AMD due to more value. 5 fps performance difference is negligible at 1080p. At 1440p and 4k, the graphics card becomes the bottleneck and not the CPU.

Note: Every 12-24 months, new product cycles debut adding a 5-10% increase in the former generation. Don't think too hard about it. Just go with what is accessible now at the moment. things always change.

Solution
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-roadmap-shows-ryzen-threadripper-plans-2020/amp/

Was going by roadmaps I'd seen so far. If I'm not mistaken, they supposedly have 2 teams working on things. One team worked on ryzen, while another worked on the one coming out next week, then the first team switched to ryzen 2(next year's release), and from what I read the designs etc are already finished. Then they should have another 7nm or maybe even 5nm in 2020 according to the map on the site above.

InvalidError

Titan

Samsung is ready to start producing 7nm chips right now. GloFo which has process R&D agreements with Samsung shouldn't be far behind. As long as there aren't any major setbacks, we should be seeing the first 7nm chips before the end of this year. The only real question about 7nm in 2019 is how good the yields will be. Based on how AMD isn't planning to push Navi beyond GTX1080 performance due to yield concerns, I'd guess yields aren't expected to be good much beyond 200sqmm dies.

InvalidError

Titan

We'll see. If Navi launches in late 2018, it will be quite likely that Zen 2 / Ryzen 3 is well on track for an April 2019-ish launch. According to AMD, most of the design work on Zen 2 was completed several months ago already, only waiting for the Samsung/GloFo/TSMC processes to catch up.

Yup. Look at the roadmap I posted above. I'm thinking AMD knows a lot better than you do. Just because Intel hasn't been able to do that yet.. lol

Not that you don't know your stuff, I'm just more inclined to believe them. So far things have been pretty decent with ryzen, so hoping they can follow through.