i5 8600k or ryzen 7 2700x

May 15, 2018
Hello I decide to build my new pc and I cant decide what cpu I will want ryzen 7 2700x or i5 8600k?
In my pc I will playing games (pubg,fortnite, the crew etc) and maybe I will streaming and little photo editing
Thanks

Solution
How much time will you be spending on Streaming or any video/photo editing?

Even though the 2700X is not as fast for games as the 8600K, it is a tad better for most of the other tasks you want to throw at it.

To highlight the strengths of each (in my eyes):

** 2700X:
PROs
- Lots of threads to run a lot of things at once.
- Performs decently enough to not notice a massive difference with the 8600K in games.
- Bundled cooling solution is really good, so you don't need to get a cooler.
- A great amount of cheap alternatives for Motherboards.
CONs
- Needs fast RAM to really shine.
- Depends a lot on the cooling (case included) so it performs decently (Turbo speeds).
- You need to do a bit of reading on RAM support so you buy the correct...
May 13, 2018
For just gaming the 8700k will be better, but if you want to stream as well the 2700x will do better at higher quality settings. See this 2700x review from gamersnexus where they go in detail into the streaming performance vs the 8700k

edit: my bad I read 8700k not 8600k. For streaming and photo editing then definitely the 2700x, no contest. Gaming will probably still favour the higher clocks and ipc of the 8600k.

How much time will you be spending on Streaming or any video/photo editing?

Even though the 2700X is not as fast for games as the 8600K, it is a tad better for most of the other tasks you want to throw at it.

To highlight the strengths of each (in my eyes):

** 2700X:
PROs
- Lots of threads to run a lot of things at once.
- Performs decently enough to not notice a massive difference with the 8600K in games.
- Bundled cooling solution is really good, so you don't need to get a cooler.
- A great amount of cheap alternatives for Motherboards.
CONs
- Needs fast RAM to really shine.
- Depends a lot on the cooling (case included) so it performs decently (Turbo speeds).
- You need to do a bit of reading on RAM support so you buy the correct ones (supported).
- It is power hungry when pushed, so you need a decent PSU so it can keep up.

** 8600K:
PROs
- OC's really good.
- Easy to keep it cool at stock with a cheap cooling solution (as in, you don't need to spend on liquid cooling or a huge HSF).
- At stock performs really well on games and OC increases that advantage by a noticeable margin.
- You can use mainstream RAM without fear. Keep in mind it will still depend a bit on RAM speed, but not as badly as AMD CPUs.
CONs
- For the K version, if you want to OC, you're stuck with Z Motherboards; they can be a tad more expensive that what you'd like them to.
- Doesn't come with a cooler (unless they changed it recently).
- Temperatures ramp up really quickly when doing OC, so if you're planning on OC'ing it, you will need to invest in decent cooling (think CM Hyper 212 and up).
- If you're doing OC, it can also be quite power hungry, so same as the 2700X: it will need a good PSU.

I hope that helps!

Cheers!

Solution
The 2700X is priced about the same as the i7-8700K which might be a better buy.

Most games depend on the performance of the single master thread.
For that, the 8600K or 8700K will clock higher, to perhaps 5.0
with the 2700X more like the 4.4 range.
The extra threads of the 2700X may be helpful in multiplayer games and in multithreaded apps like streaming/editing.
That said, few games can take advantage of more than 4 threads so even the cheaper 8600K should be OK.

My take is that a possibly longer batch run due to fewer threads is easier to take that delays while gaming.

Ultimately, you should be OK with either.