i5-8600K setup question

Nielskn

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Hello everyone,

As many gamers can confirm: there comes a point in life when you have to upgrade some things on your computer.

My current setup:

MOBO: MSI Gaming 5 z97
CPU: Intel i5-4460
GPU: MSI gtx1070 gaming X 8GB
RAM: Corsaire Vengeance 4x 4GB 1600mhz
PSU: Corsaire 650W
Standard processor cooler
3x case fans

I feel like my CPU is bottlenecking my GTX1070. Due to aging, or al along. I don't know. Anyway, i was thinking about changing it and getting myself the i5-8600K.

Now, with this new cpu comes a new MOBO. I did my research and some say the ASUS prime z370 or Asus ROG Strix z 370E will do, others say that the ASRock - z370 extreme4 motherboard is a better pick.

Question 1: what is the best MOBO for the i5-8600K?

Second, i heard things about the 8600K 'performing' better with RAM that has high clockspeed, or at least higher than my current 1600mhz. Advice i read was picking the Corsair - Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory.

Question 2: is this necessary for gaming? If yes, which RAM should i buy?

Question 3: i'm a proud owner of a BenQ XL2411Z, a 144hz screen. Will i maintain 144+ fps on, let's say for instance, Fortnite with these new components?

Side notes:
1) the rig (except for the gtx1070) is approximatly 4 years old.
2) if i do not maintain 144+ fps with the standard, i will overclock.
3) this rig is for gaming, not video editing or whatsoever.
4)No budget involved.

Thanks everyone for reading and i look forward to your advice!

Solution
I5 8600k is latest gen processor and supports only ddr4 ram.
Your old are ddr3. So you need to buy new ram too. If you do t have budget limit so go with
1. Corsair vengenance rgb(best at all)
2.G skill trident z rgb(most powerfull but expensive)
3.G skill RIP Jaws V(cheap)
4.kingston hyperx predator (not cheap and not expensive but powerfull.)

All can be overclockable upto 3800mhz.

Choose your choice.

But all your system is good..
I5 8600k is latest gen processor and supports only ddr4 ram.
Your old are ddr3. So you need to buy new ram too. If you do t have budget limit so go with
1. Corsair vengenance rgb(best at all)
2.G skill trident z rgb(most powerfull but expensive)
3.G skill RIP Jaws V(cheap)
4.kingston hyperx predator (not cheap and not expensive but powerfull.)

All can be overclockable upto 3800mhz.

Choose your choice.

But all your system is good..

Solution
4460 is not overclockable.
if you intend to oc the 8600k, You want to use a decent z370 board with i5 8600k. I would suggest asrock ex4 as it’s pretty strong board for oc and fairly cheap. Asus board are fairly overpriced, and good ones are quite expensive. Also remember that k series cpu doesn’t come with a cooling fan, I would suggest cryorig h7 or better, as these coffeelake cpu are pretty hot.
It’s worth getting a faster mem, I think some 3000 kit cost as low as some 2400 or 2666 kit. Every bit helps to get the magic 144 number.

I don’t think you have issue with fortnite at 144hz.

Co BIY

Splendid
You should consider just maxing your current platform with a used i7 4790K. It should run Fortnight at very high rates without issue. 4790k is still very competitive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Devils-Canyon-Quad-Core-4-0-GHz-LGA-1150-88W-Desktop-CPU/273307573724?epid=1639776885&hash=item3fa2669ddc:g:bcEAAOSwBCtbKIqH

Then when the next gen chips and GPUs come out build a new system from scratch.

For Fortnite performance make sure to review this article:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fortnite-best-performance-benchmarks,5541-7.html

"Don't worry as much about your CPU. While Unreal Engine 4 is certainly capable of making use of multiple cores, it does so in an unbalanced fashion (in Fortnite, at least). Our findings show that two cores are really all you need."

TRENDING THREADS