i5 8600k small overclocking advices needed

gkko

Distinguished
May 28, 2013
Hey there!

I bought my first K processor its a 8600k. So i tought im gona boost it a small amount in the safe range strictly since the turbo going up for 4.2 i tought of a 4.5 ghz.

I have an msi z370 a pro mobo. So far i searched a few topics here how to do the basics and i set
the multipler ratio to 45, and set the voltage from auto to first 1.176 then 1.185 then 1.2.
I ran prime 95 on the "small ffts" test which i believe the cpu stress test. Firstly on the 1.176 1 of 6 workers stopped instantly, on the 1,185 it did not stop, but it doing the same as on 1.2 which is going on 4,5 for like 15 secs then it drops down to 3,6-3,9 jumping all the time between these numbers randomly, and then sometimes it jumps back to 4,5ghz while the cores running on 100%.

Here are some gifs to you those who are expert im sure u can read out more information than me.

Without stress test on 1.2
With stress test on 1.2:

Also i might miss any option on my motherboard since i just adjusted these two i mentioned above. These are the settings available

Also without any modification, plain basic settings temp was around 35 and on the same stress 68-70.

Any help is much appreciated.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Prime95 stesses AVX instructions (generating unnecessary heat as the vast majority of users won't ever actually use that in "real world" situations.

All (most?) BIOS' include something along the lines of "CPU Ratio offset when running AVX" which is likely set to -9, 900MHz or 20% .... which would see clocks drop by that amount, when AVX instructions are being performed.

You could either disable that (or apply "0" if you cannot outright disable)
OR
run Prime95 v26.6 which does not stress AVX.
OR
use an alternate stress test, like OCCT.
http://www.ocbase.com/

gkko

Distinguished
May 28, 2013

Hmm.. I disabled it in the Bios to 0, still doing the same after a short time, it decreases the voltage to 1,025 ish the cores are sitll running on 100% as the temperature is higher too but the mhz just jumps back to 3,6 also sometimes if i do nothing its goint down to 800 mhz, isnt there a powersaving mode or something holding it back? I presume if i boost it to 4,5ghz it should work on 4,5 ghz 100% the time? Also i linked in pictures if you have time you could just run though the bios options i have. Ty

gkko

Distinguished
May 28, 2013

I have modified it to high performance. Nothing changes tho, I found an option in bios to list even more options, now i have even more questions.

i set back the "cpu core voltage" back to auto, however it shows the previous value which was 1.2

Should i try change something in Ratio mode, ring ratio, enhanced turbo, or something with the llc?
Other question AVX should i only disable it for using prime95 since it never gona be activated during games?