i5-8600k temps are absurd

Renevance

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
Just got the i5-8600k, but disappointed to say I can barely use it. I'm using a Pure Rock Slim since it's about the only cooler that will fit in my CiT Vanquish case. The pins for connection were a bit bent but I managed to get the heat sink to connect. It feels secure enough, but I'm getting temps of 100 degrees celsius when playing Overwatch and mid 50s to 60s when idle so I think there's a poor connection between the heat sink and mobo. Can someone confirm this? My motherboard is a Asus ROG Strix Z370-F and the heatsinks block 2 of the pins, so it's a massive pain in the arse to remove the cooler.

Renevance

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Someone suggested that I touch the heat sinks to see if its expelling any warm/hot air.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

Temps being that high it can't be properly installed , you need a reinstall.

Your cooler mount is faulty.
At idle, you should see 10-15c. over ambient.

Dumb question... Did you remove protective mylar from the base of the cooler?

How much thermal paste did you use?
Too much acts as an insulator.
A small rice sized drop will spread under heat and pressure.

Likely, it is the pushpin mounts that are causing you the problem.

Remove the cooler and clean off all the old paste with alcohol and something lint free like a paper coffee filter.
When you remount, push down on the pins simultaneously on diagonal pairs.
Otherwise it will not mount squarely.
When done, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are through and locked.

I assume the cooler fan is running, and that your front intake fan is running.
Any cooler needs a supply of fresh air to do its job.

Renevance

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

I've tried remounting several times now, but they all seem to fail since the motherboards heatsinks are covering the majority of two of the pins. I'll try it again using your diagonal method. There is no protective mylar and I used a pea sized drop of thermal paste. I also need to turn on the front fan, completely forgot that existed.

On a side note, are there any other coolers that can fit a CiT Vanquish Red case?

The usual restriction is how much height is available for the cooler.
I might imagine that you have 160mm available.
Best to measure the height available yourself.
If you want a cooler that is easier to install and is more effective, look to Noctua first.
Here is their TDP chart:
https://noctua.at/en/tdp-guide
The s variant coolers have been redesigned to clear tall ram and are also offset to clear graphics cards mounted in the first pcie X16 slot.
On the noctua site you can find a compatibility check for your motherboard.
The NH-D15s is the best, the other alternative is the NH-U14s but that needs 165mm to mount.

Renevance

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
I'm still trying to resolve the issue. It's a mounting issue for sure, but with the shite mount that came with the cooler and the limited space I have to move around due to the motherboard's heat sinks, I don't see how I can resolve this. I'll consider buying a new one.

TRENDING THREADS