[SOLVED] i5-8600k upgrade??

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
Hey forum

i have an i5-8600k and i feel that it struggles with the newer games like Assassins creed odyssey, tomb raider etc

My question is this:

Should i maybe be thinking about upgrading my cpu to something like an 8700k- i9900k ( might be overkill with the last one? )
I play in 1440p

My specs are :

i5 8600k
Noctua NH-D15
Asus Strix Z370F Gaming
HyperX Fury DDR4 2666mhz 16GB
Gigabyte Windforce OC 2080
Samsung Evo 850/860
Aoc 32" Curved CQ32G1

Solution
When i play Tomb Raider/Assassins, i do tend to see stutter from time to time, not often, but enough that i notice it
I tend not to have anything running in the background when i play

It should be said that ive never had any problems with any game or noticed any stutter before these 2 games
Just wanted to ask people who know more than me if i should do something now, seeing that future games might demand more of the cpu

Ive not tried games like GTA 5, RE7 etc

well if you're looking into the future... and if you must really replace your 8600k, which again, i would not... then 9900k... 8 core and 16 threads are more than enough to last 5 years, unless something otherwordly happens... after all you're already on the obsolete...

matthe6473

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
i have the same problem,

I have a Asus maximus xi hero wifi with i5 8600k with a small overclock to 4.6Ghz i can push it to 5.2Ghz if i take some time to do it but 4.6 help with better framtimes in games.

Only upgrade i think adds value is the i9900k, the i7 line just isn't what it used to be. waiting for a price drop from Intel for the i9

or if you not a intel guy maybe a B450/x370 motherboard with amd 3700x then down the road go to 3900x.

I beg to differ, its a genuine 6 core 6 thread cpu, wich is better than 4 core / 8 thread and those are still up to task despite being a bit on the edge.

moving to a 8700k, single core wise theres no performance gain, of course the later has double the amount of threads, but how much do games uses multiple 'fake' cores? whats the real 'possible' performance gain with those? some say 15% others a max of 30%.

in a real world scenario, you are just a fine with a 8600k for gaming as you would with a 8700k, and this may be a very specific matter with assassins creed odyssey taking a whole lot of advantage of multithreading, but with 6 physical cores, i would highly doubt that.

overclock your 8600k, thats all you need to do atm...

you can still opt for a 9900k but god, i'd never tackle with the 9th, its travesti.... a frankenstein.... and you most utterly dont need one to play anything out there, specially at higher resolutions.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That assumes that any of the AC titles are well thought out, well optimized and actually run well on pc's. Not to pick on them, they aren't the only culprit, but you might as well be saying that you aren't getting great framerates while playing Ashes of the Singularity, so you need a new pc.

Instead of spending out good cash on a bad reason, first see what can be done on your end. To most viewers, there's not much difference between high and ultra. To a gpu, it's massive difference. There's multiple settings that at ultra take up huge amounts of resources for very little, if any, visual gains. You just ran past a beggar sitting half in the shadows, a hood covering half his face. Saw him for all of 2 seconds, didn't even really pay attention to him, he's just background fluff. Yet the gpu will insist on multiple degrees of shadow on his face, 20 different colors in his beard, lighting to highlite spacial differences in tones of the mud on his face, etc, etc, etc.

And that gets rendered 3x by default. You can change that to 1. Xbox DVR, gamebar helper, those gotta go, pretty useless for most ppl and just a drag on resources.

There's many tips and tricks online that can help with optimizing what you have, making it run better, faster, stronger, without spending cash to possibly get a few more fps that you won't see anyways.

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
Thanks to everyone who has replied

ive done a small overclock to 4,7 ghz
tried doing 5ghz but as soon as i launch a game or do a stresstest it fails
ive looked for multiple guides on how to do a stable overclock with my cpu without an answer for it

with assassins creed ive tried to play in both 1080p and 1440p with medium to very high settings , lowering the shadows etc and things i dont need to "max out"
still the same

Just want to know if there is a need for me to upgrade to an i7 or even i9 , i got the money to spend, but wont spend if there is no point in doing so
guessing i dont need to upgrade my mobo just yet if i do upgrade, right?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on choice. The Z370 F won't support the i9 9900k very well at all, it simply isn't equipped for that kind of power abuse in the VRM's. The 9700k would be ok, as would the 8700k.

As you can see, the i7 averages @10-30fps higherframes, depending on area. So is technically better, in that game alone. My question is can you see a $300 difference between the two? I couldn't. If it was a game play issue, I could understand the want/need to upgrade, but spending cash for upgrades that don't change game play, only a benchmark number, is wasted money.

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
Wait so my mobo wouldnt work well with the i9? meaning i would need to upgrade my mobo if i did go for the i9
but if i did upgrade and went for the 9700k , would my mobo be fine or does it need an upgrade? or the ram even?

ill run the games and show numbers for what was mentioned in here as soon as the kids are in bed

Wait so my mobo wouldnt work well with the i9? meaning i would need to upgrade my mobo if i did go for the i9
but if i did upgrade and went for the 9700k , would my mobo be fine or does it need an upgrade? or the ram even?

ill run the games and show numbers for what was mentioned in here as soon as the kids are in bed

apparently the z370 supports 9th gen with a bios update, you gotta first check with ur manufacturer, if so then all u need is to the replace the cpu, but i would strongly advise to not to... unless you can, say, sell yours for a great price and get the new one for yet another great price... a single generation leap has a negligible performance gains, all they're doing lately is to cram more and more cores because they simply cant come up with real design and architectural improvements, they've been refreshing the same old ass kaby lake for years now... and 2 extra coras on the 9700k wont take you to the moon. Well, ok it will if u have a rocket cause the computers back to the apolo missions were like calculator power, but anyways, 6 real cores is more than enough for anything currently, more than that only if you're some video editor and likes to play 2 games at the same time while streaming... both of them....

TL;DR if very cheap, get the 9700k, if you think money is somewhat important, no point.

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
hahaha
i liked that to the moon part

joke aside
i can sell my cpu for around $180-230 and a new 8700k costs the same as a 9700k, $450
so i wouldnt pay much
add another $70 and i can get the i9 ,but prob dont need that much power

so since 8700k and 9700k is the same price, and if i do upgrade, i should go for the 9700k or?

https://ibb.co/1MzPC19 - assassins creed info

https://ibb.co/X7xXJgT - Tomb raider info

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Don't feel bad i have seen top end pc's struggling with AC.Personally i won't go 9900k.It runs hot so need a proper cooler it needs an expensive mobo so ye not worth it.Hardware unboxed did a review a while back where the 9700k beat the 9900k in some games and personally that's the best bet.

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
hahaha
i liked that to the moon part

joke aside
i can sell my cpu for around $180-230 and a new 8700k costs the same as a 9700k, $450
so i wouldnt pay much
add another $70 and i can get the i9 ,but prob dont need that much power

so since 8700k and 9700k is the same price, and if i do upgrade, i should go for the 9700k or?

https://ibb.co/1MzPC19 - assassins creed info

https://ibb.co/X7xXJgT - Tomb raider info

Yup, 9700K would be great and compatible upgrade. Also try to OC your RAM

Since both of them are above 90% in the screenshots. It depends on the resolution and graphics preset they play on. Seeming as they play at 1440p this is probably about right, especially at more demanding graphic times, such on ultra/high settings.

By the term/phrase 'feel it struggles with...', are we referring strictly to presumably high CPU usage numbers, or, is there actually a problem with the game(s) running (frame rate minimums/ averages, or stuttering)?

Everyone knows the 8600K is quite busy in CPU usage, but, it was my understanding that 6 actual cores was still mostly adequate, albeit not ideal for riddling a gaming scenario with OBS , Discord, and several other simultaneous side-endeavors (watching streaming TV and chatting, surfing on 5 Chrome tabs, etc., as many are prone to doing/attempting...

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
By the term/phrase 'feel it struggles with...', are we referring strictly to presumably high CPU usage numbers, or, is there actually a problem with the game(s) running (frame rate minimums/ averages, or stuttering)?

Everyone knows the 8600K is quite busy in CPU usage, but, it was my understanding that 6 actual cores was still mostly adequate, albeit not ideal for riddling a gaming scenario with OBS , Discord, and several other simultaneous side-endeavors (watching streaming TV and chatting, surfing on 5 Chrome tabs, etc., as many are prone to doing/attempting...
When i play Tomb Raider/Assassins, i do tend to see stutter from time to time, not often, but enough that i notice it

It should be said that ive never had any problems with any game or noticed any stutter before these 2 games
Just wanted to ask people who know more than me if i should do something now, seeing that future games might demand more of the cpu

well if you're looking into the future... and if you must really replace your 8600k, which again, i would not... then 9900k... 8 core and 16 threads are more than enough to last 5 years, unless something otherwordly happens... after all you're already on the obsolete side as 9th gen will be replaced next year, and the 10th gen will need a new motherboard anyways... it seems that the 10th gen is a response to amd's threat so they crammed in even more cores, 6/8/10, and rumour is that all of them have hyperthreading, so 6/8/10 with 12/16/20 threads respectivelly, yet however i think the 9 series is an abomination and so is the new 10th gen, all old ass 14nm+++ chips refreshed over and over and over and over......

that being said, the 9900k will probably be just slightly slower than the new 10th gen 8/10 core whatever it is, but without the need to change your MB... im still using a 4770k and i see no reason to upgrade yet, my baseline comparison game so far is witcher 3 which i run at 60fps 1080p with even hairworks on, for tomb raider, the recommended cpu is that very same 4770k, its not even the minimum, so while its still borderline recommended, its up to the task. so a 8600k being the root of the issue? no way... at all.

now if i had a 8600k, it'd sit back and utterly relax until intel decides if they gonna finish that 10nm chip by end 2020 or early 2021 or go bankrupt already... geez... 9700k is just a 'right now' proof (comparing it against the 8700k 6 core 12 threads, with the 9700k being 8/8, still a bit better but not thaaaaat much), but as said, despite being a frankenstein the 9900k will most certainly last 5 yrs.

Solution
Aug 21, 2019
I have a very similar system, i5-8600k @5ghz 1080ti and play assassins creed odyssey too. things you can do to really improve fps are getting fast RAM. i had dd4 2400mb and went to 3600mhz and saw a significant jump in fps in the game, other than that there is one single fps crippeling setting ingame and that's the volumentric clouds. set that to low. my system runs the game 80-120 fps 1440p maxed out except for those shitty clouds.