[SOLVED] I5 8600k v i7 8700k or Ryzen ?? For graphic design and editing.

Jan 19, 2019
Hi friends,

Long story short. Graphic design and casual video editing for home and potential clients.

Gaming isn't really the main concern but would be a nice feature.

Although I would consider a Ryzen but open to suggestions however, I am aware that I would also need a you off the bat with a Ryzen.

I plan on getting 32 gb of ram. Please advise if I need to meet a minimum requirement in terms of speeds for the ram and cpu.

I'm on a 1080p ips monitor which does me fine for now.

Solution
As much as I love ryzen. Adobe is almost entirely 1 to 4 cores. Something like a 9600k and z390 motherboard would shred your workload

The clock speed on it will help more than the extra threads with an i7 8700k

My biggest suggestion is a as big of a ssd as you can afford. If you can pull all your files up entirely on a ssd your experience will be infinitly better

Jwpanz

Honorable
Depends on your budget. The AMD R7 2700x is the closest, in terms of performance, the the i7 8700k but for a little bit less and a stock cooler in the box. Plus, you get more threads with 2700x.

In my opinion, if you’re running a small business then it would be best to get something that costs a bit less and has a better upgrade path to save money down the line (the AM4 socket will be around for a few more years as opposed to Intel which changes sockets almost annually).

Jan 19, 2019

Hey dude, So yes, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator. Adobe After Effects and Premiere. The latter two are at a more casual level but wouldn't want to put my self in a position where my system would struggle.

I've had an i5 3570k for several years now but I can now see it struggling.

Jan 19, 2019

Thanks. My concern however leads me to worry that Ryzen has apparently been finicky with RAM and the selection of motherboards seem to be expensive. Given I need 32gb of ram. unless of course it would be far more cost effective. Oh and the matter of the i7 having integrated gpu which would tie me over till the end of the year potentially.

Obviously please correct me if I am wrong or have missed something.

regards.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
As much as I love ryzen. Adobe is almost entirely 1 to 4 cores. Something like a 9600k and z390 motherboard would shred your workload

The clock speed on it will help more than the extra threads with an i7 8700k

My biggest suggestion is a as big of a ssd as you can afford. If you can pull all your files up entirely on a ssd your experience will be infinitly better

Solution
Jan 19, 2019

So the i5 9600k over the 8th gen? Also would the motherboards support both or do the 9th gen require newer boards.

Finally would ram speed matter as I will look to get 32gb.

Thanks again for the previous response!