i5 8600k voltage issue

FejKer

Prominent
May 9, 2017
Hi everyone,

Recently I built a PC with 8600k in it and decided to overclock it. I could get 4,7GHz without rising the voltage. Then I decided to get 4,9GHz and it also worked. I was curious if I could undervolt it and yeah, I could. I ran stable cinebench at 1,2V with 4,9GHz. The thing is synthetic benchmarks don't crash but games do. When I launched BF1 my pc instantly freezed. I tried adding voltage but I ended up at about 1,34V and still it didn't work. What is the problem here? Do games need more voltage?

Solution
Yes Very much.
Prime and OCCT are coded to keep the processor as busy as possible. They are the worst case scenario for your CPU and memory, They both get hit very hard.
But that is a good thing. You know it is unstable.
An unstable overclock will slowly corrupt the hard drive or SSD.
So every few months(3-6) windows needs to be reinstalled. And maybe your games and programs also.

FejKer

Prominent
May 9, 2017

I also tried aida64 and this test did not crash after a couple of hours. However prime kills my cpu after couple minutes so is it really that big difference between these two benchmarks?

Yes Very much.
Prime and OCCT are coded to keep the processor as busy as possible. They are the worst case scenario for your CPU and memory, They both get hit very hard.
But that is a good thing. You know it is unstable.
An unstable overclock will slowly corrupt the hard drive or SSD.
So every few months(3-6) windows needs to be reinstalled. And maybe your games and programs also.

Solution

FejKer

Prominent
May 9, 2017

Thanks for reply. I tested my cpu once again. I found stable OC 4,7GHz@1.22V and I just think there's something wrong. When I wanted to get 5GHz even 1.39V wasn't enough. Is it even possible that 300mhz needs so much voltage?