[SOLVED] I5 8600k vs. Ryzen 7 2700x

Silvertongue19

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Hello members,

I would like some advice on which cpu to purchase for my new build.

Presently due to sales, I can get either processor and their supporting motherboards for the same exact price.

Additionally, I already have a good water cooler (corsair h100i) and will be able to overclock the cpus.

Price wise, one thing I wasn't sure about is if I needed to get faster ram if I go with amd. Presently I'm looking at 16gb of ddr 4 3,000mhz for $100. In my earlier statement about getting either processor for the same price, I am assuming I would use the same ram.

I play games 90% of the time and stream very little. I don't do any video or photo editing presently.

I would love to hear your thoughts! Thank you.

Solution
With everything you've said, I'd go with the 2700x. It's practically the same FPS as the 8600k, but offers so much more for streaming and multitasking.

Better upgrade path for the Ryzen. It's supported until 2020, which is unlikely for the 8th gen Intel.

On the ram, yes Ryzen does better with faster ram, so 3000mhz is just fine. After 2933mhz, the effects of faster ram taper off with Ryzen.

With everything you've said, I'd go with the 2700x. It's practically the same FPS as the 8600k, but offers so much more for streaming and multitasking.

Better upgrade path for the Ryzen. It's supported until 2020, which is unlikely for the 8th gen Intel.

On the ram, yes Ryzen does better with faster ram, so 3000mhz is just fine. After 2933mhz, the effects of faster ram taper off with Ryzen.

Solution