i5-8600K with Dark Rock Pro 3 HOT?! (Overheating, need help!)

Mar 5, 2018
For some reason, my Dark Rock Pro 3 isn't cooling my i5-8600k. I've applied 3 different types of pastes, re-seated it over TEN TIMES, made sure the sticker was off, I applied a pea in the middle method, not too much and not too little.. and yet here I am at idle (3.6GHz) @70'C. When I overclock to 4.5GHz, my BIOS reports 95-100'C temps.. But when I feel my cooler, it feels like pure cold metal. I feel around the CPU on the mobo, cool. I feel the heat pipes, cool. I feel the vapor chamber ontop of the cpu, cool...... I am baffled at what is causing this. My cpu was thermal throttling down to 0.5GHz, I don't know what's rock. I know it is seated correctly, but my friends think it might not be making contact? But I know it is because the thermal paste is mushed down perfectly. I really don't know what to say or do at this point. Here's my specs:

i5-8600K
ASRock Z370 Extreme 4
G.Skill Trident Z 4000MHz
650w G-Series Seasonic PSU
Meshify C White Case
GTX 960 4GB
Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler

I really don't know the issue.. Is it a bad sensor? Or could it actually not be cooling it? I left it alone (and off) for the whole night, and in the morning when I turned it on, I checked the BIOS temp as fast as I could and it said 70'C. There's no possible way to can go from ambient room temp to 70'C in under 10 seconds. Please help me!

robax91

Distinguished
Is your bios overclocking all cores or just boosting a few? Check the bios for the voltages, set them to auto (to check them) and try running it at the max turbo with slightly less voltage.

It could be a bad chip (too big of gap for IHS/bad TIM) unlikely but delidding would fix this.

Maybe the program you are using is giving false readings. When you have more than one program reading temps they can misreport. I would shut them all off and get a simple program to check temps. I personally use RealTemp. HWMonitor is pretty good too.

Mar 5, 2018

At stock and default settings, it hung around 50'C. I am OC'd on all cores to 4.5GHz. My voltage had a yellow indicator on it, I think somewhere between 1.1-1.3V. HWMonitor reports it as 1.312V, max at 1.328V.

Mar 5, 2018

I just cannot fathom how. I had to reseat it multiple times because the screws kept having problems, but I know it is mounted correctly.

EDIT: HWMonitor says that 'TMPIN' 3 and 5 are hot, but 5 is cool. Package Watts hang around 25-26W. IA Core is around 22W.

Like I said, sounds like there is a problem with the mounting.