I5 8600K with really high idle temps, but okay when gaming/load

Sep 5, 2018
I have an i5 8600K with Cryorig H7 cooler. not OCed, running at stock.

Ambient is about 80 F in my room. Case is Fractal Design Meshify mini, well ventilated.

The CPU idles at around 40C, and can spike up to 55 with light tasks such as opening a new tab in chrome...

I would suspect bad thermal paste or cooler contact, but the odd thing is when I am gaming or doing stress test, the temp never goes above 65C, which I think is quite acceptable for air cooling. If there is something wrong with thermal paste, then load temp would be much higher.

I am really confused. I am wondering what could be the problem here? Should I be worried about the idle temp? Any thought is appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
no, the temp looks alright.

it could also be the fan curve set in your bios/uefi, for eample, your fan runs at 30% from 40-60C, but when it reaches 60c+, cpu fan ramps to 70%.
you can try to fix the fan rpm to see if that gives you a more linear result.

another thing is just to measure the performance delta and compare it to sites like gamer's nexus or other review site.

try not to take the absolute value on these thermal sensors for granted, temperature delta always give you a better result.
no, the temp looks alright.

it could also be the fan curve set in your bios/uefi, for eample, your fan runs at 30% from 40-60C, but when it reaches 60c+, cpu fan ramps to 70%.
you can try to fix the fan rpm to see if that gives you a more linear result.

another thing is just to measure the performance delta and compare it to sites like gamer's nexus or other review site.

try not to take the absolute value on these thermal sensors for granted, temperature delta always give you a better result.

Solution
Jul 28, 2018
You might want to disable the option in Chrome "use hardware acceleration when available" This can keep your CPU and GPU at a good temperature. Also, 40°C is normal, so sit back and chill.