[SOLVED] i5 8th gen CPU...suggest a motherboard

Feb 15, 2020
I had bought a HP Obelisk Desktop PC, but it so happened that power cut during bios update...so i think the Motherboard is dead.
Now, I am thinking of building another pc from the parts from the HP One.
The Parts that i can get from it are:
CPU : i5 8th gen
Graphic Card : Geforce 1060
SSD
Ram: 8GB Kingston Hyper X fury 2666Mhz
Now i need suggestions for a motherboard for the CPU and also info about what more can be salvaged from the HP PC.
Can i also make use of the PSU ?
or Can i replace the motherboard in the same HP Cabinet or will I have to buy a new one?
and Should i buy additional ram to make it dual channel?
Also is the same ram available now ?

Now, I live in India, so please suggest parts which are available in India.

Any other things that i may need while building a PC...please do tell.

Any and every help appreciated.

Solution
Yes, the same ram is used. get another stick, preferably matching.
As for the "cabinet" (its called a case) check if the motherboard size is standard
matx, atx or eatx. if it is, it should be an easy swap in, be hp and dell and companies like that sometimes have different power supply pin outs, its really confusing and they change it all the time.

you should check on your psu model and compare pinouts to a normal psu.
If they aren't you will need a new psu.

As for what board, if you plan on overclocking (if that is an i5 8600k. the 8400 cannot overclock)
you need a z370 or z390
if you dont plan on overclocking, you will need an H370, H310 or b360 board.
i would suggest the b360...
As for the "cabinet" (its called a case) check if the motherboard size is standard
matx, atx or eatx. if it is, it should be an easy swap in, be hp and dell and companies like that sometimes have different power supply pin outs, its really confusing and they change it all the time.

As for what board, if you plan on overclocking (if that is an i5 8600k. the 8400 cannot overclock)
you need a z370 or z390
i would suggest the b360.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/326...z370-vs-h370-vs-b360-vs-h310-8th-gen-cpu.html
here is an article comparing them.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Contact HP. See what they say. You have an OEM pre-built pc, Windows license is tied to the motherboard, so if you replace the motherboard with an aftermarket board, your Windows will not be registered, and will require you to buy another key to register it. If you could get a warranty replacement, everything will swap out as is, you'll only need to fix any front panel connections for the new case.

HP has the ability to 'unbrick' your bios, not sure if or how much that charge would be, or if it's covered under your original purchase warranty for repair.

Feb 15, 2020

you need a z370 or z390
i would suggest the b360.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/326...z370-vs-h370-vs-b360-vs-h310-8th-gen-cpu.html
here is an article comparing them.
Yes the processor is i5-8400, so no overclocking possible. Also I was thinking of going for the H370, will it be any better than the B360 ?
Also the motherboard size is micro-ATX. Also any suggestion for the motherboard ?
I did check some, there is one:
https://www.amazon.in/GIGABYTE-B360...ywords=H370&qid=1591027591&s=computers&sr=1-2

And about the PSU, I will check the pins.
But the case will work right ?
Also is there any other thing that can be salvaged ?
I think there is a wifi adapter in there, can i buy a non-wifi board and then put in the adapter?

Thanks for replying, appreciate the help :)

Feb 15, 2020
Contact HP. See what they say. You have an OEM pre-built pc, Windows license is tied to the motherboard, so if you replace the motherboard with an aftermarket board, your Windows will not be registered, and will require you to buy another key to register it. If you could get a warranty replacement, everything will swap out as is, you'll only need to fix any front panel connections for the new case.

HP has the ability to 'unbrick' your bios, not sure if or how much that charge would be, or if it's covered under your original purchase warranty for repair.
The PC is bought from US, so warranty wont be available here. But I can try bringing it to them and then check if it's possible to be repaired.

Thanks for replying.

Yes the processor is i5-8400, so no overclocking possible. Also I was thinking of going for the H370, will it be any better than the B360 ?
Also the motherboard size is micro-ATX. Also any suggestion for the motherboard ?
I did check some, there is one:
https://www.amazon.in/GIGABYTE-B360...ywords=H370&qid=1591027591&s=computers&sr=1-2

And about the PSU, I will check the pins.
But the case will work right ?
Also is there any other thing that can be salvaged ?
I think there is a wifi adapter in there, can i buy a non-wifi board and then put in the adapter?

Thanks for replying, appreciate the help :)
The case might work. HP might have made a different standard just for that case.