i5 8th gen or i7 8th gen for gaming purpose only, gpu would be rtx2060

axilgwapo

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017
Intel i5-8600K Processor + MSI Z370 Sli Plus Motherboard

VS

Intel Core i7 8700 + Gigabyte GA-Z390-GAMING-X Motherboard

Solution
Those game aren't all that CPU heavy, so you could probably get by with the i5 if you wanted to save some money, though the i7 would be a bit more futureproof if you want to run this system for a while before doing another CPU upgrade. If both setups are the same price, I'd still go i7, the 8600k can be overclocked but the 8700 already runs at 4.3GHz on all cores anyway with standard TurboBoost behaviour and higher clocks do not always compensate for lack of threads, as the performance of the older 4 core/4 thread i5s in newer games have shown.

Depends on what you are playing. There are certain very CPU heavy games out there eg. the latest Assassin's Creed games that will eat up all the CPU resources you can throw at it and you may encounter slowdowns with only 6 threads on the i5.

axilgwapo

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017

Thank you, these are the games that I'm currently playing:

Dota 2
CSGO
MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD
GTA V
PUBG

Those game aren't all that CPU heavy, so you could probably get by with the i5 if you wanted to save some money, though the i7 would be a bit more futureproof if you want to run this system for a while before doing another CPU upgrade. If both setups are the same price, I'd still go i7, the 8600k can be overclocked but the 8700 already runs at 4.3GHz on all cores anyway with standard TurboBoost behaviour and higher clocks do not always compensate for lack of threads, as the performance of the older 4 core/4 thread i5s in newer games have shown.

Solution

axilgwapo

Prominent
Jun 5, 2017

thank you man, this really helps. Price diff is only at $75 so i'll just go i7. I'm not also planning to overclock the cpu.

Thanks again. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS