Question I5 9300H running at base clock speeds when gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2019
I recently bought a new lenovo ideapad L340 and i've been having a problem with it , whenever i boot a game the cpu runs at around 3.9 GHz for about 15 seconds before instantly dropping to 2.4 GHz which is base , it sits at that clock speed and does not move upwards nor downwards , its not thermal throttling I ran the XTU stress test and it sits stable at around 3.7 GHz and around 78 degrees celsius . this problem occurs when playing any game , i tried shadow of the tomb raider , neir automata , doom and batman arkham knight . could that be a problem with turbo boost ?

I5 9300h 2.4 GHz (4.2GHz boost)
8GB DDR4 2400MHz
GTX 1650

thanks in advance:)

Aug 18, 2019
the cpu doesn't even get a chance to get hot it just sticks at the base clock constantly no matter the load , and even if it were thermal throttling why doesn't it underclock itself further more?

Aug 18, 2019
nope , I'm using the balanced mode with no modification at all ,I use a mode made by lenovo called conservation mode which lets the battery charge to only 60 % to prolong the life of the battery , though I don't think this has anything to do with the problem

Oct 7, 2019
Hey! Go to your bios then turn off Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework. This will assure you to squeeze your i5 9300h turbo clockspeeds. However, you must care for your thermals on your laptop since it can reach i maximum value of 95 degrees when in full 4.0 ghz. To prevent that, u must install throttlestop then set your 4 cores turbo for something like 3.1 to 3.4 to prevent excessive heating. I have an Lenovo Ideapad L340 gaming with an i5 also and tried to research on thaht issue but it seems to work for me as well. Undervolt your laptop together with your preffered turbo speed in throttlestop.

Hope this it may help!

Status
Not open for further replies.