Question i5 9400f overheating

Oct 13, 2022
i recently had to replace my power supply since the old one exploded one night and since then whenever I play any games my cpu temp goes to 100c and hovers in the high 90s. if im doing anything else its fine staying between 45c-60c like watching vids or using the browser. all the fans work and the tubes to the water cooler dont get hot at least by the time i stop playing and open up the box to check them. i dont understand why this is happening the computer isnt that old maybe a few years like 2-3 and the games still function fine they dont freeze or crash. i checked in bios and when the cpu is hot the cpu fan is running at 100% so i just dont know what to do and im not that knowledgeable about fixing or working on computers, any help would be greatly appreciated.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Coincidence maybe, but 2~3 years is about the life span of pumps. Maybe psu did something to it.

That processor doesn't need water and you'll be much better off going conventional hsf, tower cooler, if your case can accommodate and has some case fans. Hsf last a lifetime. I would never go water, ever, too much risk and hassle needing to eventually replace pump. Difficult thing about it is knowing when to replace it, and that will always be a guessing game. Either replace it prematurely or it beats you to the punch. Can't win and it's an ongoing cost.

What power supply was it btw, if you don't mind sharing?

Oct 13, 2022
the power supply is thermaltake smart 700w it was the only kind i could get that day since only one store sells them and all they had were different versions of that one otherwise i would have had to get one online and that takes almost a week to get with shipping time included. maybe i messed something up cause the cpu cable wasnt long enough to put it the way the old power supply cable was. the other cables are in the same layout but the cpu one had to go from the front side of the motherboard rather then a hole snaked in from behind it like it was b efore. i also had to leave the power supply loose not bolted in cause of that cpu cable only reaches if its just loose in the middle of the box.

id replacing the pump or changing it to a hsf difficult? I dont have that much experiance with changing computer parts so it sounds hard.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You should bolt the psu to the frame, or at a minimum run a wire from the psu to the frame as that's the grounding path for anything attached to the frame, it's also the grounding path from any RF (radio frequency) or other sorts of EMI (electro-magnetic interference). Those 4 little screws in the back of the psu have quite an important job.

You changed the psu. I've yet to see a cpu/eps cable not long enough to reach except in full towers with a standard ATX psu, or using an SFX psu in a mATX or larger case (small form factor psu). So not sure exactly what's going on there, but the best fix is a cheap extension cable for cpu/eps and bolt the psu down as needed and still reach the EPS via routing around the back.

As far as temps go, hopefully when you swapped out the psu, you also replaced all the cables, and did not use the old ones. Check every cable, every connection.

With water coolers, if they are working correctly, there will be No discernable heat difference between the tubes, there is a difference, it's generally 1-3°C, but ppl's fingers are not sensitive enough to discern that small amount. If you think that it's a cooler problem, hold your hand next to the radiator exhaust, it should be warm and the fan spinning at a high rpm.

There's 2 kinds of liquid cooler types. Simple and complex. Simple has a single cable with 3-4 wires that attaches to the motherboard coming from the pump. It may or may not also have fan wires at the pump too. Complex uses a single wire to the motherboard, but requires psu (molex or Sata) power cable, generally has fan cables and almost always a USB cable, for software control.

If the fan barely spins, or doesn't get faster with loads, that's either a bios setting issue, a software setting issue or for some reason the plug got put on the motherboard wrong/off a pin.

If there's no real heat coming from the radiator exhaust, that could be a pump issue, software issue, paste issue, mount issue or power issue, like you missed plugging the complex pump back to the psu after the swap.

Honestly, you'll need to physically chase every move you made during that swap, make sure everything that should be plugged in, is plugged in, correctly, using the new cables. After physical inspection, then you can start in on software or bios settings, but that's going to require you know where the fan/s and pump are plugged in and checking for function

Reactions: boju
Oct 13, 2022
oh didnt know it was that big a problem that the ps isnt bolted down, i think its due to the case design the whole bottom of it where the ps goes is walled off and the only access from it is 75% from the back to front it opens so i can put the cable through there but the one thats too short then has to go all the way at the top of the case at the very back so it has to travel 75% of the case foward then all the way to the top then all the way to the back. the way it was before i swapped ps was there is a small hole right next to where it is plugged in but the plug was like 3 inches too short to go that way so i had to do it like i described.
I still cant figure out the problem with overheating all the fans spin and they spin faster under high load but the exhaust is always cool even when the cpu is 100c. the liquid cooler has 2 pipes from the rear fan and that fan sits on a piece that looks like a radiator to me. the pipes then lead to a plastic piece that is on the cpu and it has lights and lights up so i think its getting power. i kept track of the number and locations of all connections i unplugged when i changed the ps so im pretty sure i got them all on swap it was only 6. thanks to both of you for the advice i just dont really have the technical knowledge of where to go from here. i assume if i continue to run the cpu at 100c it will break the pc so i guess ill try a new cooler if that doesnt work i guess im just screwed

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
but the exhaust is always cool even when the cpu is 100c. the liquid cooler has 2 pipes from the rear fan and that fan sits on a piece that looks like a radiator to me. the pipes then lead to a plastic piece that is on the cpu and it has lights and lights up so i think its getting power.
No heat at the exhaust means the pump isn't doing anything. No coolant is flowing other than by natural convection, which is way too slow.

It's possible that when the psu blew up, it killed the pump motor inside that 'plastic piece' on the cpu.

At this point, it might be advisable to take it to a shop or have a friend who does know about pc's look at it, because it sounds like you may not have the comfort level to replace the cooler if that pump is bad, it's not a difficult procedure, but it does need to be basically perfect or even with an aircooler you'll still have temp issues, or possibly cpu issues. You'd need to know exactly what you have, what to get, how to install it properly.