Question i5-9400F vs 5 2600

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
I know this question is all over the internet, but I think I'm still lacking details/infos on this. I still can't decide.

So yeah, I'm deciding between these 2.
I have watched reviews, comparison and benchmark between these 2,
the comparison says that:
for gaming i5-9400f is better,
for workstation/multi-tasking 5 2600 is better because of the extra threads.

the i5 9400f costs 192 usd
the ryzen 5 2600 costs 172 usd

if this is true, still cannot decide which one to choose.
i need to know in terms of overall performance and usage, which one is better?

and does the 20 usd difference worth the difference of i5 9400 in terms of gaming?

AMD all the way - especially in 5 weeks you have the 3600 coming out from AMD
Why AMD? More cores and more threads - future games will use more cores and more threads
With all the security problems with Intel dating back over 10 years - nothing has really changed in their core design which is why ALL their CPU's are affected.

If you game at 1080p you will get upto 8% performance increase using Intel
If you game 1440p or more, you will get no performance increase using Intel

Personally, I think it's a simple choice - AMD (I have Intel cpu right now and will change when the new AMD's come out 7/7/19)

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it comes down to you.
do you ONLY use the PC to game?
do you do many things on the PC and gaming is but one of them?
in either case get the AMD. the extra threads, the upgrade paths, the price...
right this second the intel wins for gaming but games are catching up the the thread race and the more threads the longer the platform will stay relevant. the increase the intel has over the AMD can be rectified with a big cooler, Fast RAM and an overclock, and you still have 6 more threads and 20 dollars.

it comes down to you.
do you ONLY use the PC to game?
do you do many things on the PC and gaming is but one of them?
in either case get the AMD. the extra threads, the upgrade paths, the price...
right this second the intel wins for gaming but games are catching up the the thread race and the more threads the longer the platform will stay relevant. the increase the intel has over the AMD can be rectified with a big cooler, Fast RAM and an overclock, and you still have 6 more threads and 20 dollars.
What is the upgrade path for the 2600? the x version? the 3000 version that will be maybe 10% faster at stock?Some new model with even more cores that will run even slower at all core turbo?
Also there are tons of games that use 16 threads right now but not a single one where ryzen is faster...

Another also to the OP,where do you shop from?The 9400f shows up from $150 on newegg.

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
AMD all the way - especially in 5 weeks you have the 3600 coming out from AMD
Why AMD? More cores and more threads - future games will use more cores and more threads
With all the security problems with Intel dating back over 10 years - nothing has really changed in their core design which is why ALL their CPU's are affected.

Personally, I think it's a simple choice - AMD (I have Intel cpu right now and will change when the new AMD's come out 7/7/19)

I'm using 1080p. Thank you for this. Maybe i should wait for the 3000 series too.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Wait for Zen 2 and 500 series boards. Mobos will have better power delivery for higher performance 3000 CPUs too. This close to launch, id wait.

---

Depends on the graphics card. Only significance resolution has is if it deprives a GPU from an amount of frames. The CPU sets the fps cap based on what the graphics card can do, @ 1440p is not exactly a drain on top end GPUs so Intel are still ahead. 4k is another matter, obviously there are no GPUs capable of challenging a modern CPU's fps cap.

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
What is the upgrade path for the 2600? the x version? the 3000 version that will be maybe 10% faster at stock?Some new model with even more cores that will run even slower at all core turbo?
Also there are tons of games that use 16 threads right now but not a single one where ryzen is faster...

Another also to the OP,where do you shop from?The 9400f shows up from $150 on newegg.

I'm from the Ph. and the price i posted here is cheapest on the market.

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
Wait for Zen 2 and 500 series boards. Mobos will have better power delivery for higher performance 3000 CPUs too. This close to launch, id wait.

---

Depends on the graphics card. Only significance resolution has is if it deprives a GPU from an amount of frames. The CPU sets the fps cap based on what the graphics card can do, @ 1440p is not exactly a drain on top end GPUs so Intel are still ahead. 4k is another matter, obviously there are no GPUs capable of challenging a modern CPU's fps cap.

btw, i'm partnering this CPU with a Zotac gtx 1660 AMP!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

my viewpoint is in longevity, I have had the same system for 10 years with just the odd GPU upgrade and Storage upgrades it is still performing admirably.
yes the 3xxx series that is not released yet. that is by any definition an upgrade path, intel will kill the 9xxx with the next release if history is any judge meaning there is only upgrades in the same series, the 9xxx, or downgrades to the 8xxx.
I have been around the forums long enough to hear people say this "wait till the pentium 3 is released" you can wait and wait and wait there will always be a new CPU coming, the question is to you want to do something with a computer or sit and wait in perpetuity.
buy the best you can when you can. for me AMD has always represented the value for dollar champion. more features on lower end motherboards, more PCIe lanes available, overclocking, better on die cooling, and fewer needless socket changes.
the 5% difference can be made up with a mild overclock and then you still have 12 threads for streaming, or doing anything else while playing a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: rigg42 and brahmsPC

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
Thank you all for your efforts answering my question. Really appreciated man. :)

lastly, if you dont mind.
So my friend saw this thread, and i think he's interested in going to Ryzen too. But as of today, he has i7-4790, the question is, is ryzen 5 2600 or the 3xxx series an upgrade to 4790?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed, If only gaming, Ryzen 2600/2700x would be a side grade but would open the door to Zen 2 if bought a previous gen board now ie b350/x370 or b450/x470 but that's if the manufacturer of whichever motherboard offers a bios update. It's been widely noted most top end motherboards will get the update and some not.

It would be wise to wait for Zen 2 before dropping any coin on parts now - just incase -

Reactions: rigg42

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
Agreed, If only gaming, Ryzen 2600/2700x would be a side grade but would open the door to Zen 2 if bought a previous gen board now ie b350/x370 or b450/x470 but that's if the manufacturer of whichever motherboard offers a bios update. It's been widely noted most top end motherboards will get the update and some not.

It would be wise to wait for Zen 2 before dropping any coin on parts now - just incase -

wait you lost me there. Does the b450 board will support the upcoming zen 2?